1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TaoTao 110c- Spark, Fuel, Compression, no start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Promagstyle:

The TaoTao I'm working on is the 110cc version, but I don't think the two sizes differ much.

What Zrock was talking about is replacing the gas line between the fuel tank and the carb and putting on a longer tube attached to the carb. Then lightly blowing fuel into the carb until the bowl is full.

I think before you do that, you should try some basics. First, check to see if your spark plug is making spark. Pull the plug out of the cylinder and put it into the spark plug boot. Then, just set it on the cylinder fins or somewhere that is grounded. You want to make sure that the end of the plug is very close or touching the metal. Turn on your key, put your kill switch in the run position and try to start. If you're getting spark, you'll be able to see the blue arc on the spark plug.

If you're getting spark, that's great! Next, put your finger over the open spark plug hole and try to start again. There should be enough compression to push your finger off the hole with a little "pop" sound. This was my issue, I didn't have enough compression to start the ATV. I replaced my head gasket and went from 36 PSI to 98PSI. My timing is off now because I'm getting back fires, but that should be easy to research and fix. I bought a compression gauge from my auto parts store to test to get exact compression.

If you have good compression and spark, next to check is fuel. There is a small screw on the right, or what I would consider the passenger side of the carb. It's at the bottom of the carb bowl. Mine didn't have it, but there should be a black hose running from the bottom of the carb that hangs down past the motor not connected to anything. This is the float bowl overflow tube. When you turn the small screw, watch for fuel to start dripping from that tube. This will let you know you have fuel in your carb.

If all those things check out, then you might want to get your compression tester. I had spark and fuel and air, I cleaned the carb, set the valves and still wouldn't fire, that's when I saw the exhaust exiting at the head gasket.

The other thing I found (from friendly help on this site) is that even though you may see spark, that doesn't necessarily mean the ignition is working. There are a lot of security prevention devices on this little quad and they'll need to be connected and working in order for the ignition to work. There's a tether switch on the back rack that needs to have the black cap pushed on and the foot brake pedal needs to be depressed in order to start.

Hope some of this is helpful! Let us know what some of these tests yield and we'll see if we can help more.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gjpctech
Hey Promagstyle:

The TaoTao I'm working on is the 110cc version, but I don't think the two sizes differ much.

What Zrock was talking about is replacing the gas line between the fuel tank and the carb and putting on a longer tube attached to the carb. Then lightly blowing fuel into the carb until the bowl is full.

I think before you do that, you should try some basics. First, check to see if your spark plug is making spark. Pull the plug out of the cylinder and put it into the spark plug boot. Then, just set it on the cylinder fins or somewhere that is grounded. You want to make sure that the end of the plug is very close or touching the metal. Turn on your key, put your kill switch in the run position and try to start. If you're getting spark, you'll be able to see the blue arc on the spark plug.

If you're getting spark, that's great! Next, put your finger over the open spark plug hole and try to start again. There should be enough compression to push your finger off the hole with a little "pop" sound. This was my issue, I didn't have enough compression to start the ATV. I replaced my head gasket and went from 36 PSI to 98PSI. My timing is off now because I'm getting back fires, but that should be easy to research and fix. I bought a compression gauge from my auto parts store to test to get exact compression.

If you have good compression and spark, next to check is fuel. There is a small screw on the right, or what I would consider the passenger side of the carb. It's at the bottom of the carb bowl. Mine didn't have it, but there should be a black hose running from the bottom of the carb that hangs down past the motor not connected to anything. This is the float bowl overflow tube. When you turn the small screw, watch for fuel to start dripping from that tube. This will let you know you have fuel in your carb.

If all those things check out, then you might want to get your compression tester. I had spark and fuel and air, I cleaned the carb, set the valves and still wouldn't fire, that's when I saw the exhaust exiting at the head gasket.

The other thing I found (from friendly help on this site) is that even though you may see spark, that doesn't necessarily mean the ignition is working. There are a lot of security prevention devices on this little quad and they'll need to be connected and working in order for the ignition to work. There's a tether switch on the back rack that needs to have the black cap pushed on and the foot brake pedal needs to be depressed in order to start.

Hope some of this is helpful! Let us know what some of these tests yield and we'll see if we can help more.

Thanks!
If you read his first post he has done most of what you suggested. Or i have read his first post wrong

Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I think I finally got my issue resolved. After installing the new head gasket, I was getting a lot of backfire and no start. Another trip to the forum and I found it was simply the Air/fuel adjustment screw. After playing around with that a little, the little quad finally fired right up. It needs a little more tuning to get the idle down and I think I have the needle valve in backwards, but those are little things.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. Zrock, that fuel in a spray bottle worked like charm. Let me ask, do you keep fuel in there all the time, or just put in new, fresh fuel when you need to? I was wondering if you keep it in there all the time if you treat it with seafoam or stay-bil fuel treatment.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It was just a 1 time thing. By the time I was done the squirt bottle no longer worked. I would have thrown it out anyway. My 3 year old likes to play with my squirt bottles

Old 03-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

My ATV has been sitting in the Driveway since last year due too the fact that I had no time. Now I have time, I will try to get that thing started.

I will charge the battery tomorrow and try the Squirt Bottle and blowing into the Carb.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Top of carb

Had the same problem today and found the top of the carburetor where the throttle cable goes in was just barely loose. After tightening it down, started right up.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Banned

If you have Ethanol in your fuel and you don't run the unit often you can bet you will have carb problems. Sometimes as little as 2 weeks is enough time for the Ethanol to plug up the jets in the carb.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have 110 quad 4 stroke not sure name of it but it ran one time that was it it has file fire good spark but want start any ideas plz let me no BC it's my boys quad

Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV communication

I have 110 quad 4 stroke not sure name of it but it ran one time that was it it has file fire good spark but want start any ideas plz let me no BC it's my boys quad

Old 12-14-2020, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Taotao 200cc go kart

I have a 200cc go kart I'm getting fuel spark and got good compression have new battery. It just turns over never cranks plz help lol