1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Unknown Brand/Engine ATV electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown Brand/Engine ATV electrical problem

Hello everyone, Im new to the forum but I need some desperate help with a quad I recently got in a trade. Im pretty positive its a Chinese quad but not certain since all the plastics have been repainted and I couldnt find any build/identification plates anywhere on it. At first I was told it was either a 110 or 125cc but after researching the carb on it I know its at LEAST a 150 possibly much larger. When I got it, it didn't have a battery in it so I had to kick start it which wasn't a big deal. It fired right up everytime and never missed a lick. I had it running quite a while yesterday then yesterday evening I couldn't get it to start and I checked the spark and it was weak and very intermittent. It would spark a time or 2 maybe 3 or 4 in a row then just stop sparking completely. I thought maybe it had something to do with it not having a battery in it so I let it sit all night and first thing this morning I went and got a new battery for it, spark plug, fuel line and filter(they were leaking) After I got the battery filled and charged, changed the plug and the fuel line/filter I tried to fire it up again and still nothing. It cranks fine with the starter and seems to turn over fast but wouldn't even try to start. I pulled the plug, stuck it back in the wire and held it to the head and cranked it and the spark was doing the exact same thing. It'd fire a time or two maybe 3 or 4 in a row then after a few seconds of cranking it would stop completely and not do anything. Im thinking that running it without a battery has messed up the stator. I pulled everything apart and got the stator off and now Im trying to find out if I can test it, or if not find one to replace it with. I dont know if its even possible to damage it, running the engine without a battery but I think It would be possible, just dont know much about these little engines. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and Im going to try and post pics of the stator I pulled off and the quad itself to see if that'll help.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Name:  10421154_371034433046160_1142213696718972670_n_zpsd061444c.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  83.6 KB

Old 10-04-2014, 02:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

The only stator tests can be done without removing it, but it looks like the exciter coil is separate to the stator windings anyway. From what I can see of the engine, it looks like a GY6, this will be stamped on the engine castings somewhere, and is the most common circa 150cc Chinese engine. I think there is a sticky on electrical fault finding on these engines somewhere on this site. If you need to start substituting parts, the CDI is the most common cause of problems on these engines.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help but unfortunately the engine on mine is a bit different from the one you mentioned. My cam cover is rounded, not square and it has and big oil fill cap(access to adjust intake rocker) on the top and a big round plug(access to exhaust rocker) on the bottom. Ive been looking online at ALOT of different stators and havent found an 11 coil 3 bolt one like the one I took off my engine yet. Im wondering what brand this four wheeler even is and actually what engine it has on it. The guy I bought it from didn't know anything about it really when he got it and it was already painted so that's no help. I thought at first it was a TAOTAO but after looking at alot of pics Im starting to think its something else. Also when I had the CDI box off of it yesterday it looked completely different from the ones Ive found online. Most of them have two plugs molded into the CDI Box and mine does not. It has 4 wire pig tails coming out of it. Im going to try and get some more pics so it'll be more helpful.