1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TaoTao 250D electrical/starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao 250D electrical/starting issues

Been reading through threads on the site for hours and have tried many suggestions but can't seem to find my specific issue (much less fix it). Went ahead and joined so hopefully can get some help. I just purchased 2 Tao Tao 250D ATVs from ttlpowersports. Delivery was fine, no issues...got them both put together and ran just fine since Christmas. Well, today one of them wouldn't start after riding for about an hour and turning off the engine normally (via key on fender). Made sure it was in neutral, both right hand brake and foot pedal brake were fully depressed, even though the hand brake is normally only needed. I did notice there is no brake light now and also checked the headlights...they're not coming on either. I was able to get it home by using a screwdriver on the solenoid to get it started and it ran fine all the way back. The weird thing is with the key turned on, the kill switch set in the middle (learned about that the hard way a couple days ago on the other bike), and in neutral with the green light on, if I then pull in the right hand brake or step on the foot brake, the green neutral light goes out....then when I let off of the brake, it comes back on. No response from the start button on left side and I already took it apart looking for loose connections, etc. but found none. Initially thought it might be the brake switch, but the headlights not coming on at all and the neutral light going off when I pull in the hand brake has me wondering if it's something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 344 Likes on 335 Posts

The power from the battery isn't getting past the ignition switch. First, is there any power in the battery? Next check the wires from the battery to earth on both engine and frame, then check the wires to the ign switch from the battery with a test lamp, not a meter, then the wires from the switch to lights etc to see if the switch is bad.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Power in the battery seems good since i'm still able to jump it at the solenoid with a screwdriver and it cranks right up. Not sure what "check wires from the battery to earth" is in reference to. Assuming this is the negative grounding wire on the battery, but assumptions lead to not-so-fun places sometimes. At work presently so will pick up a test lamp (already have a volt meter) on the way home and check it out. Appreciate the assist, will post results of test ASAP.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Verified there is no power getting to the plug where the ignition switch itself connects. Ran a comparison between the good atv and the one having issues...the good one lights up. Going back to recheck the battery grounding.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, it's a little embarrassing but i figured it out. Starting back at the battery, as suggested by merryman, and went over all the wiring to no avail. On the third try, and getting a bit frustrated mind you, finally found it. The simple fuse on the red wire coming out of the battery. It tested good twice, then no light on the third try...oddly, the fuse did not look blown at all (first thing I checked initially). Upon further inspection, one side of the wire in the fuse apparently came loose and was sometimes touching and sometimes not. Replaced it with the spare in the case and, of course, everything is working as it should. Will definitely be getting a couple spares! Appreciate the help, merryman.