1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Need Help getting a 110cc back up and running

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help getting a 110cc back up and running

Recently, I picked up 2 Chinese quads for cheap. One a 110cc and the other 150cc. Lets concentrate on the 110 for now. From what the previous owner told me was that it has been sitting for at least one year. The first thing I did was buy a new battery, carb and fuel filter. Installed it. Then I cleaned out the fuel tank. Finally, I tried turning it over. There was a clicking sound but wouldn't start. So I tried seeing if it was sparking. No spark. Changed the spark plug. Nothing. Then I bought a new CDI box, solenoid and coil from Amazon for around 20 bucks. I replaced the components one at a time, but still nothing. Not even clicking anymore. So I put back the old solenoid but left the new coil and CDI intact. Still no clicking. So now I am stuck. Anyone has any ideas? (BTW, this is my first time working on a Quad and don't know much)
If you need pictures or videos, let me know and I'll upload them. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If the starter is not turning it over then you will not get any spark. The motor needs to be turning to get spark.. The starter could have been seized. Pull the starter off and bench test it out of the machine. They are super easy to work on so you should be able to pull it apart and clean it up and get it working.
You may want to stop just throwing parts at it in hopes it will start. Gets expensive fast and you probably could have gotten it running with a carb and starter cleaning.. then start changing parts from their if you see a need.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
If the starter is not turning it over then you will not get any spark. The motor needs to be turning to get spark.. The starter could have been seized. Pull the starter off and bench test it out of the machine. They are super easy to work on so you should be able to pull it apart and clean it up and get it working.
You may want to stop just throwing parts at it in hopes it will start. Gets expensive fast and you probably could have gotten it running with a carb and starter cleaning.. then start changing parts from their if you see a need.
Thanks for the reply. One problem I am not understanding is that why the solenoid has stopped clicking. The battery is good. Could it be the starter button?

Old 11-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Super Quad Patrol

are u sure you have the switches on the bars all in the right place? Iv had them where i think they are on but actually off. You can take a pc of wire from the battery and disconnect the plug on solenoid and use that to test solenoid.

I got tired of fighting with the handlebar switches and bought a heavy duty waterproof push button switch and wired it to both sides of solenoid. been working great for a few years.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

are u sure you have the switches on the bars all in the right place? Iv had them where i think they are on but actually off. You can take a pc of wire from the battery and disconnect the plug on solenoid and use that to test solenoid.

I got tired of fighting with the handlebar switches and bought a heavy duty waterproof push button switch and wired it to both sides of solenoid. been working great for a few years.
Hey Zrock, thanks for reply, do you mind posting a more in-dept instruction on how to re-wire the new starter button and how to check the solenoid? That will really help me. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by DanV97
Hey Zrock, thanks for reply, do you mind posting a more in-dept instruction on how to re-wire the new starter button and how to check the solenoid? That will really help me. Thanks.
This is a good write up
http://scooterspowersports.com/troubleshooting-basics-starter-solenoid/

To by pass it I just ran a wire to both sides of solinoid and up to the heavy duty switch

Old 11-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is a good write up
Troubleshooting Starter Solenoid - Scooter's Power Sports

To by pass it I just ran a wire to both sides of solinoid and up to the heavy duty switch
ok thanks, ill try that

Old 11-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is a good write up
Troubleshooting Starter Solenoid - Scooter's Power Sports

One more question, does the brake need to be engaged?

Old 11-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by DanV97
One more question, does the brake need to be engaged?
Yep...

Old 11-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. this is what I got. My starter button was broken, so I just used a screwdriver to fire up the solenoid. I opened up the stater and this is what I see (see attached image). The stater looked kinda dirty, but the starter looked ok. When I try to start the atv, the starter does not do more than 1 complete turn. I will also link you to a video I made showing the problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YraG...ature=youtu.be
Does the starter and/or stater need to be replaced?

Attached Thumbnails Need Help getting a 110cc back up and running-20151119_185928-min.jpg   Need Help getting a 110cc back up and running-20151119_185938-min.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need Help getting a 110cc back up and running