1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Won't idle properly

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Won't idle properly

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum! I've read a lot of posts and I can't narrow my problem down. I just purchased a used non-running 110cc Chinese quad for my son's Christmas present. I've been working on it for about a week now and can't quite piece it together. I have put a new carb, battery, ngk plug, and cdi on and got it to fire up. The problem I'm having is I can't get it to idle properly.

I have cleaned the carb out about 5 times. Cleaned the gas tank out and put a new filter and lines on.

It will start with the throttle and the only way to keep it running at idle, is to have the idle screw all the way in. It idles very rough and burpy though. The fuel mixture screw is set to 2 turns out.

The plug is being fouled quick. I continuously remove and clean it between adjustments.

Is there such thing as having the valves set too loose? Could that cause these problems?

Thank you so much for any help and you guys have some great posts that have helped tremendously!

Old 12-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The valves could be loose, do you hear a really pronounced clicking? it's an easy procedure to check the valve lash and adjust. Other thing i would look at is leaks after the carb and possibly even the top of the carb where the throttle cable connect. When it fouls, is it oily or just wet from gas? Did you check compression?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is clicking but not too loud. I'll take a look at leaking after or on the carb and let you know the results. The problem is I can't work on it when my son is home because it's for Christmas. I can only check things when he's not around.

I don't have a compression gauge but I can't keep my finger over the plug hole when cranking.

The plug fouls with a black soot. It's not wet just a powdery black coating and smoke out the exhaust.

Thank you for responding!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you get the slide back in the carb properly? Iv seen them 180 out its easy to get them turned around. Its definitely on the rich side. Are you positive the carb was put together properly and you have the proper heat range of plug? Last time i adjusted fuel mixture i set the idle screw to roughly a high idle. Then turned the adjustment screw one direction counting the turns until the engine seemed to level out then went the other direction counting the turns doing the same. Then put it in the center of the 2 counts. Been running perfect for 3 years i think factory is 2 1/4 out give or take.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

The good news is black and powdery are fuel deposits. That being said, it would have to be running really rich. When you start with the throttle, does it rev freely or stumble all the time. When you cleaned the carb, did you run a wire through the jets? Idle jets are very small and really easy to clog.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

If the slide were turned around the idle adjustment wouldn't work at all. also touching the throttle wouldn't be doing a thing either.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 12-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was able to fire it up real quick earlier. It has a leak after the carb. Whenever I would spray starting fluid around the carb to intake seal it would die. I ordered new seals and I'm hoping that will fix it.

Thank you again and I'll give an update when I find out more!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nice, glad i could help.