1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao cuts out and backfires

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao cuts out and backfires

I have a 2017 125D quad. It is nearly new and still shiny. A month ago it started cutting out and backfiring when accelerating. Seems to be worse after warming up.
I am a decent mechanic and i have done the following.
Replaced the carb. The new ones have air adjustment anyway so I was going to replace this in due time anyway. This made no difference.
I replaced the plug, checked the valve adjustment. Checked fuel flow to the carb.
I have 2 of these so I swapped out the CDI but still no difference. I just pulled the side cover and visually inspected the magneto. Nothing looks wrong but hard to tell without testing it.
Quedtion. Can the woodruff key have sheared a little?
before I start tearing apart my other quad and using the parts on the other can anyone here identify the issue or give me some other things to check???

Old 04-25-2019, 02:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes the key can get a "step" in it. Rare though, they usually do a full 180 degree spin so TDC mark is at BDC. I would try swapping coils next.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, when I swapped out the coils on the 2 quads I noticed that one of the wires on the coil just came off without any pulling at all. I went ahead and swapped them out but I also squeezed the connector some with pliers so that it was hard to install and the fit was tight. I rode it for a while and all is good. I then fired up the other quad and it runs good as well. So I think the loose connector was the issue.
In my attempt to fix it I had replaced the carb and now this one runs better than the other. It has much more throttle response and I think it is due to the adjustable air bleed. Is there a way to make the original card adjustable or will I just need to buy another one?