1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Kazuma Meerkat 50cc / Redcat Engine starts for few seconds only

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kazuma Meerkat 50cc / Redcat Engine starts for few seconds only

Hello,

I recently purchased this quad for my kids. I bought it used but appears to be in a good condition. Here are the problems that I hope to get resolved with someone's advice.

PROBLEMS
1) The engine starts for few seconds then stops on its own. If I try to start it again, it turns but doesn't start. I have to leave it for a long time before it will start again. The air filter looks good. The battery looks good. Is it the carb issue or something else?
BTW; when I start, the ignition is in 2nd position (ON), engine cut out switch is on, fuel valve is on and foot on the brake. Please help.

2) The headlight doesn't work. The bulb looks good.

GENERAL QUESTIONS
1) Where can I get the service manual for this quad? The one I found online seem very limited
2) How does the shifter work? In other words, how do I know what gear I'm in?

3) There is a plug on the side of the quad that doesn't have any connection. What is the purpose of it? (marked 1 on the picture below) Also, there are two wires that are not connected (marked 2 on the picture below. Do they need to be connected? I traced the wires from the plug (1) and it is the same cable as two unconnected wires (2).

4) Which one is the oil drain plug? Is it one marked 1 below or 2? (1 is really hard to get to)

5) Please see the image below. Do I need to remove both rectangle 1 and 2 to work on the carb or removing rectangle 1 will be enough?

Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you may have a blockage in the fuel system or carb float is set to low and not able to supply th efuel needed
you have to count your gear shifts and remember where you are

Old 09-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Zrock. Can you also see if you can answer my other questions. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Rectangle #1 is all you need to remove carb...#2 is the intake manifold...

Manual attached...answers all your other questions...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
KazumaMeerkat50ATVManual.pdf (4.52 MB, 7313 views)
Old 09-07-2016, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks DirtDevil101. The manual although helpful, it doesn't cover all and the pictures aren't clear which left me guessing. I'm looking for more of a service manual.

If you look at MY picture the drain plug is the one sticking out more (item2) correct?

Also, I'm very confused with the wiring. To answer your question, #1 and #2 pictured are the same wire with a different plug on each end.

Finally, why do you think the bike starts and immediately shuts down?

Old 09-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

I think this doc is the best you'll get...

1) Drain plug - looks like #1 in your pic as it aligns with manual and it looks like an oil drain plug.
2) Wiring - I don't see a connector in the manual that matches the unused one. I'd verify a couple others in the manual...once you've done that and the plug/wire colors on other connections align, I'd say that the unused plugs are not needed.
3) Running - the way you describe it I'd initially say it's a fuel delivery issue. Either fuel is not getting into the carb (test by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and turn petcock on...you should see a steady flow of fuel coming out the line)...or float might be stuck (pull the carb, remove float bowl and inspect/clean the fuel float...if that is sticking closed that would also be an issue)...check these in order written...

Old 09-14-2016, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've made some progress and this is where I am. I've cleaned the carb, replaced the fuel.

Right now the quad starts and runs but ONLY with choke ON and the throttle has to be pressed. As soon as I turn the choke off or release the throttle the bike dies.

What is it? Do I need a new carb? Please advise. My son keeps asking when he can ride it

Old 09-15-2016, 02:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You are still not getting enough fuel, probably a clogged idler jet. Regarding the drain plugs, one will be the cam chain adjuster, I and a great number of others have mistaken this for a drain plug and got a surprise when a long spring and plunger shoot out, trouble is, I can't remember which one it is. Go for the plug that doesn't line up with the cam chain. Someone answered the wiring plug question earlier this year in a post, it is ether for fitting a trickle charger or a diagnostic plug, can't remember now, nothing important anyway.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks merryman for your advice. I'm getting closer to solving this.
My headlight isn't working also. The bulb looks ok. Any ideas?
Finally, I have a basic user manual from online for this, but I would like to get a service manual...

Old 09-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

All fixed and working. Thank you all for help

Quick Reply: Kazuma Meerkat 50cc / Redcat Engine starts for few seconds only