1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Hi-Bird 250 No Spark Where to start??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi-Bird 250 No Spark Where to start??

I just bought a Hi-Bird 250 that seems to be in good condition. The carb was a mess from sitting so I am cleaning it out, but first I need to figure out why I don't have spark!

I can turn on the key and the neutral light comes on and the start button will crank it, but with the plug removed and grounded I see no spark. I have the brakes on but none of the lights seems to be working. (no brake or headlights, although the headlight indicator on the dash lights up)

I know it could be CDI, coil, stator, or some electrical gremlin, but where to start??

I do have a 90cc parts bike (no compression on that one), but I don't know if the coils are the same or not. I do know that bike had spark so it should be a known good coil.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2017, 02:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Trouble is you can't generalize as there are so many different ignition systems. If your two CDIs have the same number of pins, you probably have the same ignition system on both bikes, but ignition coils for AC ignition are different to DC ones which often have 12v coils like a car. I would try to get a wiring diagram on the net and find out how the 250's ignition system works. Then check the system with a meter.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved

UPDATE: I switched the CDI from the other bike I have and hello blue SPARK. I got it running last night. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

Thanks