1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 125 finally got spark, next step help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 125 finally got spark, next step help

History:
I just got a Tao Tao 125 used from someone I work with and it looks brand new, plastic cover still on the seat, it has sat for about 2-3 years and was told it was driven less than 2 hours. I got it and attempted to clean the carb but the bowl won't come off, there are no bolts, it looks like 2 metal pins are holding the carb bowl on. I did spray cleaner inside of the bowl and let it sit, the gas in the carb stinks. I verified spark and no spark. I have the 5 pin CDI and I took the center pin out (safety switch) and I now have spark. I am now trying to get it to crank since I have spark.

So... questions

1) What switches do these atv's have that I need to check to determine what was causing the no spark so I can fix it.

2) After I got spark I tried to crank it and it didn't crank, the battery died so I stopped working for the night, but what are the chances that it will crank since I couldn't get the carb taken apart to clean it. Do I need to replace the carb? I bet I know the answer but I am hopeful.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Both brake levers have a switch in them. One brake needs to be on for it to start. Their has to be screws in the bowl to take it apart. They may have filler in them that needs to be drilled out first before they are visible. I would try to get it started first before buying a new carb. Fresh gas running through may be enough to clean it out on its own.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Kill switches are usually wired through the ignition switch and the kill on the handlebars. However some have a "sink plug" at the back end with a cord attached, so you can run behind the child on the machine and pull the plug if he/she gets into trouble. Some have an electronic remote so you can do the same thing whilst stood still, via a wireless sender. These are notorious for going wrong.

I have heard of this sealed for life, float bowl on here before, apparently the screws holding it together don't have slots in the heads so you drill the heads off, remove the bowl, unscrew the bits of screw, replacing them with normal screws when re-assembling. I would, like Zrock, try to get it running as is, before spending money.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I worked on it last night, and first thing was I noticed a puddle of gas, the carb is leaking gas out of the overflow tube at the bottom. There is no fuel shutoff valve, so I will be adding one of those soon. It would not crank, the spark plug was completely dry and it is making me think that gas isn't getting from the carb to the engine. I took the plug out and put a little fluid inside the spark plug hole and after reinstalling the plug the atv started for a few seconds which I am sure was just from the starting fluid. So with that I am pretty sure I have a gas issue causing it not to crank. After I can get it to crank then I will start tracing electrical issues and figure out why I had to unplug the kill switch from the CDI to get spark. If you all have any other ideas feel free to throw them up. This has been one of the hardest atv's to work in regards to figuring out issues.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Foote85
History: I just got a Tao Tao 125 used from someone I work with and it looks brand new, plastic cover still on the seat, it has sat for about 2-3 years and was told it was driven less than 2 hours. I got it and attempted to clean the carb but the bowl won't come off, there are no bolts, it looks like 2 metal pins are holding the carb bowl on. I did spray cleaner inside of the bowl and let it sit, the gas in the carb stinks. I verified spark and no spark. I have the 5 pin CDI and I took the center pin out (safety switch) and I now have spark. I am now trying to get it to crank since I have spark.

So... questions

1) What switches do these atv's have that I need to check to determine what was causing the no spark so I can fix it.

2) After I got spark I tried to crank it and it didn't crank, the battery died so I stopped working for the night, but what are the chances that it will crank since I couldn't get the carb taken apart to clean it. Do I need to replace the carb? I bet I know the answer but I am hopeful.
they make them so you have to buy a new carb can't take it part clean but carbs aren't that much on eBay or amazon

Old 06-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same Issue

I also have a tao tao 125 that won't start. I used an easy out on the 2 screws that hold the carb together and got the carb apart, cleaned everything, still wouldn't start...bought a new carb for $12...still won't start unless I spray starter fluid in...I checked for spark...driving me nuts

Old 06-04-2018, 02:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Low compression can cause the "won't start without starter fluid" problem, this can be wear, or just a closed up valve clearance. Test compression, over 90psi is OK, and adjust the valves if compression is down.