1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Coolster ATV-3125: Cranks, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Coolster ATV-3125: Cranks, won't start

Hello, just recently I've been having a problem with my Coolster ATV-3125. It's china-made so parts aren't quality but it's cheap. I've had it for probably over 2 years now but haven't been using it/ maintaining it as much as I should have. I've had to learn some new terms and I've expanded my knowledge on car mechanics through this experience but I still can't figure out the problem. I try to start it and the engine turns over (didn't know what that meant before) but does not fire up. I can hear it cranking over and over again when I hold the electric start but it doesn't get started. My belief is it is a fuel delivery issue. I started by taking out the carburetor and inspecting it, I saw a video and through experience the guy had he said they're so cheap they seem to only last a year. There was fuel in the tank of the carb and I emptied it out and put the carburetor back, I later removed it again and cleaned out some yellow residue that was stuck to the sides of the float and the sides of the carb tank. There is some metal pipe that runs from the carb to the engine and it was as dry as a rock when I stuck my finger down it so I don't think fuel is getting to the engine. On one thread I found out you can pour fuel down the spark plug hole to troubleshoot even further. That was perfect and the engine did fire up for about a second so I'm pretty sure the ignition is fine, its just a fuel delivery issue. On this model, there is a valve sitting at the bottom of the gas tank, then runs through a small screen (filter?) in a capsule, then into the carburetor. From there I would think it comes out of the side which leads to the engine but again I have no idea how this works. The air filter is brown and seems rusty/dirty but there is no way that should stop it from starting the engine right? I thought on a cold start you're supposed to have the choke UP so the fuel mixture is more rich anyways. Also, a while ago there was a tube that came out that never got put back. I was looking through the manual (MUST have been translated from Chinese because the English is terrible and very hard to understand) and found a page called "Crankcase emission filter of the circulatory system". It shows a picture of the very tube that never got put back, and it connects the end of the air filter (which is attached to the carb at the other end) to a hole in the engine. There is a black plastic bulb shaped capsule in the middle of the tube and the manual doesn't describe what it does, only when to replace. I have tried adjusting the throttle cable, adjusting the idle screw on my carburetor (I don't know the ideal position for that), I've sprayed some quick start into my air filter and carb which has only resulted in a 1 second fire up and some loud mechanical sounds that don't sound good but then dissipate shortly after, and checked the engine oil which seems fine (just checked another thread to find out you should change the oil when you get one, could that be the problem?) to my knowledge. I just want to get this thing started instead of trying to take it up to a shop, if I need to I will, but it would be nice to solve it myself.
I'm very new to this site and have never really posted a thread before.
Please tell me if you would like any pictures.
Thanks, Jake.