1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Looking for some electrical help...Coolster 110

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some electrical help...Coolster 110

Hey guys, I've been doing some research on the site and I've found some helpful information but unfortunately, still no luck with fixing my problem!

What I have going on is a Coolster 110 w/ electric start. It has no fire.

So far I have changed the coil and the cdi box. I have taken the stator out and cleaned all connections (some did seem a bit corroded). I have been using my multi-meter to check continuity between all my connections and such and I have ATTEMPTED to check voltage going into the coil. Now, I may be doing this wrong, but I have been taking my positive multimeter pin and going into the backside of the harness plug for the coil(on the wire harness side) , then taking my negative meter pin to ground. With the plug unplugged from the coil, (checking into the plug coming out of the harness) I will see about 25/30 volts AC. (I also checked DC and saw nothing at all...I assumed it was AC? but could be wrong). If I connect my harness plug into the plug of the coil, it shows no voltage whatsoever when I crank the motor. So to me something is killing the circuit, or I could be testing this all wrong.

Either way, I am at a point of not sure whether I need to replace the stator or if I have something odd going on such as the keyless kill remote is not disengaging, or is the kill switch messed up? My brake light is on with the front brake locked so to me that circuit is correct.

Thank you all for the help.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Pull the black/white trace out of the harness for the cdi. (pretty sure thats the color) This will bypass all the safety and switches. If it dos not start with that pulled then its time to dig deeper.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Rock. Thanks for the info! I just tried that, and still no luck. I followed a troubleshooting list that lynnedwards posted awhile back and still no luck. I did have a few differences in readings on the cdi unit but it was the same readings on both the new cdi as well as the old. The weird thing to me is im getting plenty of voltage from the black/yellow coil wire as well as the .2-.4 volts from the trigger wire when cranking it. If I leave the coil unplugged and check voltage at the harness side of the coil plug while cranking I get voltage however if I plug the coil into the harness, that same reading is zero. This is really stumping me.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

disconnect stator from harness, use multimeter to check stator wires from motor side,one end to ground one to blue/white from pickup should read 2-5 volts.... red/black which powers cdi should read 50-90 volts both when cranking of course,

check resistance as well when NOT cranking one end to ground one to pickup should read 125-150 olhms, power to cdi should read 300-500 olhms