1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

125 cc won't move

Old 04-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 125 cc won't move

Hi, I have a taotao 125 cc childrens atv. It has F/N/R gear shift on left side. When put into gear it won't move forward or reverse when you give it gas. The engine revs and may try to inch forward or back a bit but pretty much just sits there. I raised the back wheels off the ground and the wheels do spin when raised. Am I looking at a clutch problem or something else? I did try to adjust the clutch but it didn't help.
Thank You

Old 04-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to check the clutch...

Old 12-15-2020, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Any luck on getting this fixed? I'm having the same issue and raised it in a floor jack. The wheels turn and increase in speed when I throttle but when I sit on it, it doesn't move.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Clutch.Many never change out the oil from the factory oil until its too late. Need to change the oil immediately if the dealer didn't do it for you. Its biodegradable peanut oil or similar unconventional (non-powersports) oil that ships from the factory.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation Same Problem

I have the ATV-W020 125cc with the same problem. Mine shipped without oil and I use 10W30. The same issue here..... cause jack up the back end and the wheels move but once on the ground, it won't move at all.
I've been waiting for days to hear back from the place we bought it from. My kid is getting upset not being able to ride.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Take a look at the clutches. Depends on model, but usually they have a motorcycle multiplate worked by the gearchange pedal and a centrifugal clutch like a lawnmower. However belt drive machines have just a centrifugal, or no clutch at all, as the belt pulleys come apart far enough at idle, for the belt to slip.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by merryman
Take a look at the clutches. Depends on model, but usually they have a motorcycle multiplate worked by the gearchange pedal and a centrifugal clutch like a lawnmower. However belt drive machines have just a centrifugal, or no clutch at all, as the belt pulleys come apart far enough at idle, for the belt to slip.
Thanks Merryman. I did see a video showing this exact problem and it was the clutch. So I'm checking into it. Unfortunately you need a special tool to remove the clutch and I guess there are also 17 and 18 spline clutches for the same model. So I have to buy the tool first to see which clutch I have then get one ordered.
I'm just a little upset that my son has not been riding this very much and it is just barely 3 months old. Seems odd that a clutch would be bad already.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You do have to use an oil suitable for wet clutches. Also riding in too high a gear for the conditions can make the clutch slip on a manual gear bike. If the plates have little wear but are glazed, it will almost certainly be down to the rider, not adjusting when needed, or the above. If the plates are worn out, then it is probably a manufacturing fault.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info again. I believe the manual called for 10W30 or 40 oil and that is what I used. It is the 125cc version so it only has reverse and forward. Everything else is automatic. I haven't taken it apart yet since I need to get that special socket to remove the locknut so I can't tell how badly it is worn. I guess I am curious about one thing. The video I watched with a male adult showed him riding the 125cc after he changed the clutch. He was flying down a road. The one I got for my 8 year old barely moves when I get on it. I'm sure the guy in the video weighed more than me so it just seemed weird that he was moving so fast and this one I have didn't seem to move very well with me on it.
Also, I didn't notice anything that would make it seem like the original clutch needed adjusted. To me, it seemed like he was riding about the same as when we first got it. After it stopped moving, I tried to adjust it but even when I turned the screw all the way in, it still wouldn't move. So this clutch seemed to go from brand new to completely worn out in 3 months with not a lot of riding time. IF that is what the problem really is. Guess I won't know that until I take it apart.

Old 08-12-2021, 01:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You wind the screw out, then in until resistance is felt, then back out about 1/6th of a turn on most bikes. Take note which way it screws too, have a feeling some are LH thread. The instructions should be in the book. Also it will almost certainly say somewhere 20W/30 or 40 oil suitable for motorcycles, which means suitable for wet clutches. Don't forget the centrifugal shoes can wear down to the metal (this is visible). Or glaze and slip, so de-glaze them, just in case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 125 cc won't move