2) Chassis problems.. If your quad runs but you have other problems.. post in here.

TaoTao 250 throwing chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao 250 throwing chain

New to these Chinese ATV`s . I just acquired a 2013 TaoTao 200cc that has been sitting for quite a while . Put on a new carb and it now starts and runs great. I started riding it today and it threw the chain 3 times, always when I let off the gas to slow down. It appears that the sprockets are in alignment so could this possibly be the chain just needs tightening. It has a spring loaded chain tensioner that appears to be working fine . I am hoping someone out there much more experienced with these issues could help speed up my learning curve.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:53 AM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Release the chain tensioner spring, then adjust the chain. Should have 10mm to 20mm of movement at the middle of the span. Then reattach the tensioner spring.

Also make sure the chain and sprockets are in good shape. Worn parts will cause the chain to jump.

Another thing to check is that the swing arm bolt is TIGHT. Needs to be very tight to prevent the inner sleeve of the bushings from pivoting on the swing arm bolt.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hugemoth
Release the chain tensioner spring, then adjust the chain. Should have 10mm to 20mm of movement at the middle of the span. Then reattach the tensioner spring.

Also make sure the chain and sprockets are in good shape. Worn parts will cause the chain to jump.

Another thing to check is that the swing arm bolt is TIGHT. Needs to be very tight to prevent the inner sleeve of the bushings from pivoting on the swing arm bolt.
Hugemoth; Thank you for pointing me in the right direction and the correct chain tension specs. Problem solved.