Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What Utility Quad Is Best For Me? All Opinions Welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Utility Quad Is Best For Me? All Opinions Welcomed

I am currently stationed in Alaska. I will be here for another couple years. However, "home" for me is in Southern California.....about 30 minutes from Glamis(sand dunes). My brothers have 4x2 sport quads and I am familiar with these....however, I am in a predicament as to what I should buy. I have a few questions that would help me out if answered....

1) How do 2wd quads do in snow? (for use in Alaskan winters)
2) What is the resale value of a utility quad over a sports quad?
3) Which is more maintanance "needy"?
4) How much less "*****" do utility quads have than sports atvs?
5) How "good" of a quad is a Polaris 500 HO?(only reason Im asking is because we use these and I can get the ultimate deals on these)

Now my REAL question....

Which is the best utility atv? I have ridden plenty of 2wd quads....just never a 4wd.... What would be best for me all-around to use in snow and sand? I know these are two opposites...... mud bogging and such is of no importance to me as I hate mud....

All replies will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

....Que v2rider recommending Artic Cat in 3...2...1....

Old 07-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: RSeb
....Que v2rider recommending Artic Cat in 3...2...1....
That is funny!!!

Hurry up v2rider and get in here with your comment! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: TheWangerMan
I am currently stationed in Alaska. I will be here for another couple years. However, "home" for me is in Southern California.....about 30 minutes from Glamis(sand dunes). My brothers have 4x2 sport quads and I am familiar with these....however, I am in a predicament as to what I should buy. I have a few questions that would help me out if answered....

5) How "good" of a quad is a Polaris 500 HO?(only reason Im asking is because we use these and I can get the ultimate deals on these)

Now my REAL question....

Which is the best utility atv? I have ridden plenty of 2wd quads....just never a 4wd.... What would be best for me all-around to use in snow and sand? I know these are two opposites...... mud bogging and such is of no importance to me as I hate mud....

All replies will be appreciated. Thanks.
Gosh, you are looking at totally opposite areas. Are you at Elemdorf or Fort Richardson??? We lived in Alaska for about three years and just moved back to MN about a year ago. Check out my picts. A sport quad is pretty useless up there. All that snow, and the trails are geared for 4x4's.

Not good, bad tires and low ground clearance are a bad combo. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Better, I actually sold my utility ATV (a 2004 Arctic Cat 400I 4x4) in Alaska for more then I paid for it in MN. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Both are excellent.

Some, however big bore utilities do pretty good. I can wheelie all day on my 650 H1. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But there is no way I could keep up with a z400 on the "trails"

Good if you buy new, but check it out good if you are going used.

I think I would just buy a utility and then sell it and get a sport quad when you get back to CA. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: Catterman

I think I would just buy a utility and then sell it and get a sport quad when you get back to CA. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
This is my advice.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Buy an AC Utility, 500 or higher[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
You guys were wondering where i was werent you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in So. Calif. (sport quad country and dirt bike Mecca!), but I have a Rancher 4wd for riding in the Sierras, Inyos, and local mountains. You mentioned "sand", so I have to say that I find a utility to be of little use in the desert (in fact a handicap most of the time), unless I deliberately go looking for terrifying terrain.

In the snow the little Rancher does superbly, mostly because it is light and I am running ITP Holesot ATR radial tires and a real slick plastic Maier skid plate that acts like a huge ski (so you don't high center on the fame). And, at high altitude you have lots of stream crossings and rocky trails, etc., so that's where I use the 4wd.

I would say that if your finances allow, you can go with a big bore utility if you insist. Otherwise, seeing you are there only temporarily, get something less expensive (I highly recommend the Rancher) and ride the tires off it for two years, then sell it up there before you head south again.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: reconranger
I am in So. Calif. (sport quad country and dirt bike Mecca!), but I have a Rancher 4wd for riding in the Sierras, Inyos, and local mountains. You mentioned "sand", so I have to say that I find a utility to be of little use in the desert (in fact a handicap most of the time), unless I deliberately go looking for terrifying terrain.

In the snow the little Rancher does superbly, mostly because it is light and I am running ITP Holesot ATR radial tires and a real slick plastic Maier skid plate that acts like a huge ski (so you don't high center on the fame). And, at high altitude you have lots of stream crossings and rocky trails, etc., so that's where I use the 4wd.

I would say that if your finances allow, you can go with a big bore utility if you insist. Otherwise, seeing you are there only temporarily, get something less expensive (I highly recommend the Rancher) and ride the tires off it for two years, then sell it up there before you head south again.
I see you are from loma linda.... Which puts me in the same boat as you....in terms of riding areas....as I have a home in Lake Arrowhead(like 30 minutes from Loma Linda up the SB mountains....) and enjoy riding the trails and such from silverwood to big bear.... I realize the weight is a disadvantage with a Utility quad in sand. However, I have seen/been in situations where sport quads were useless in the mountains around IE.... I guess buying something for here temporarily then unloading it when I move back would be the most logical solution.....or I can just have two...i wish ahha

Old 07-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On those woods trails behind Arrowhead (the ones in the Pinnacles to Deep Creek area), I find even the relatively light and agile (for a ute) Rancher to be to clumsy to be any fun (although it is nice to have 4wd in a couple of spots). There, I prefer to ride the 400EX, which handles like a dream on that tight stuff.

Now, if you take the really technical section of 2N34 from Deep Creek to Crab Flats, while I can do that on the EX with some effort, I much prefer the 4X4 Rancher there. I have lots of buddies who have big bore utes, and when we get into rock crawling situations, they always say that I "make it look easy". That's because it is easier on the little Rancher, vs the huge tall heavy rollover deathtrap monsters that they ride.

There is an emerging new class of hybrid, "true" sport/utes. The Wolverine and Renegade are examples. Now both of these machines fall way short of my ideal of what this class can become, but they are at least a step in the right direction in terms of design philosophy. But, both are way to heavy, and the Renegade is 600 pounds (the same as a Japanese big bore ute), so what's sporty about that???? In addition, the Rancher is getting a makeover this year, and I hope Honda had the insight to bump it into this class!

Anyway, the perfect mythical "hybrid" machine (which only exists in my mind), would be the hot setup in the local mountains.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

vs the huge tall heavy rollover deathtrap monsters that they ride.

Oh boy.