Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which atv should I buy for Towing in Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which atv should I buy for Towing in Snow?

Ive been test driving a honda recon 250, and after a few days, i am getting the feeling It could get a little boring, Im thinking about saving up and getting something with a little more pep, and also 4x4 for the winter, I am worried because i havnt ridden in the snow and dont know how well a quad can pull a snowboarder, can 4x4 pull up hill? Which atv is best for snow and power in the sand dunes as well, IM new to this so i dont know if 1400 is a good deal for a well running 2002 honda recon (2wd), should i buy the recon and sell it for more? If I get an atv it has to be faster, more powerful, and have better handeling year round, please help, im new to the sport

Old 09-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well if your going to be towing in the snow I'd recommend a 4x4 2wd just doesn't cut it. Believe it or not, I pulled a sled last winter with 2 or 3 people with my King 700 in 4wd diff lock and my tires were spinning and I couldn't make it up this fairly step hill, now with only one person I could make it pretty easy. Snow changes things b/c you can't just go buy power a lone you have to take traction into consideration. A Recon 250 is the lowest powered/ slowest Utility out there, and without 4wd you will not be going very fast in the snow...ecspecially pulling something or someone. If you could save your money for a 400 or 500cc ute I'm sure you'd have much more fun b/c otherwise you'll be getting stuck all the time and 250cc just is pretty gutless for a heavy utility.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

You're right about traction playing a huge role in snow. That raises the question... what TIRES are the best for snow? Mud and sand don't clump like snow, so I don't think the tread design would be the same. Are there any hints or tips for choosing ATV tires that perform well in snow?

Old 09-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

most 4 wheel drives will push snow with almost bald tires

Old 09-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tow two boarders with my 4X4 Rancher, and it does great! (We do get snow here.....like 50' sometimes in the Sierras!) Two things are important: Tires (ITP Holeshot ATR's) and a real slick Maier plastic skid plate. The skid acts like a huge ski, and keeps the frame from high centering on the snow. I can get through snow that is so deep that I am just floating on the surface. There is one place where there is a fallen tree that is a good 6' in diameter. With enough snow, I can ride right over the thing!

As for the Recon, it will do OK when the snow is not deep, and if you have the right tires, but you will find that a 2wd will fishtail all over the place, especially when trying to pull a boarder.

So, my advice is to get a 4wd!