Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 Xpress 300 - Oil in pull start

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Xpress 300 - Oil in pull start

I got the carb set up in this unit that I bought a couple of days ago. After riding it for a while today I went to try the pull start to see if it work fine and it did, however, the rope was soaked with gear case looking oil. It dont really smell like it but who knows. I have a pic of it.

Name:  IMG00035-20100225-1117.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  166.3 KB

I don't want to take it apart unless I have to. Any one have an idea what could be going on?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like crank seal behind stator leaking into recoil housing. P.S. Have had a couple people actually pull the plug on the recoil housing and pour in oil thinking it needed some!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

So you think this is oil from the gear or the motor? Sorry, I have not gotten a book yet Polaris wants close to 80 bucks for the book and that is close to what I pay for this sucker so I'm waiting a bit before buying that book. Don't want to spend all that money then having to sell the atv.
Anyways, anything leaking is no good. I will see if I can take that pull start out and check if there is a leak. How will this affect the atv? Do I need to completely stop it or will light use not damage it? Sorry, my experience is with car, boats and mower motors...
Thanks for you help.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil in crank

isn't the 300 a 2 stroke , then there shouldn't be any oil coming out of engine seal or am i wrong ,there no drain plug is there?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, it is a 2 stroke. I thought it could be from the motor because the previous owner had the carburetor messed up and over flooded multiple times. I know I had my husqvarna empty the entire tank in the crank and cylinder and then come out of the muffler because the carb needed a kit.
Is there a place I can check the gear lube level? How about to fill it? Is it like a car manual transmission that you have to uncrew the plug, fill with lube until it is flush to the plug hole? What lube does it use? Like I said, it dont smell like gear lube but I might be wrong.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:15 AM
Trailblazer

Gear case dipstick is just aft of the pull start. Oil is most likely from someone spraying lube in there to help with a sticking pull start.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nandy
Yes, it is a 2 stroke. I thought it could be from the motor because the previous owner had the carburetor messed up and over flooded multiple times. I know I had my husqvarna empty the entire tank in the crank and cylinder and then come out of the muffler because the carb needed a kit.
Is there a place I can check the gear lube level? How about to fill it? Is it like a car manual transmission that you have to uncrew the plug, fill with lube until it is flush to the plug hole? What lube does it use? Like I said, it dont smell like gear lube but I might be wrong.
Sorry! didnt make myself clear on the crank seal. Most of the time its from a flooded crankcase with a mixture of gas/oil passing through through the seal into the recoil housing contaminating the rope and recoil and stator area. Its possible the seal may be too distorted and need replacing along with replacing the carb needle and seat to stop this from happening again. There is a drain plug under the recoil housing,but its designed to drain out any water that may get in.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I follow you. I will take the pull start tomorrow if possible to clean it and ride it a bit with it off and see if I can see anything. I did clean the carb on the carb bath I have and it all seems fine now. I did use carb cleaner to shoot trhu every hole and make sure it was clean. I have not seen any sign of flooding so far but i am also closing the valve when Im done riding. I might go ahead and order the kit nex week since it is just $20 dollars. That needle in the throttle valve needle e clip was set up on the second groove from the bottom up. Is that the correct setting?
Thanks!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

I tried to remove the pull start but it would not budge so I did the best next move that was to pull the plug and let it drain. It has about 4 oz of 2 cycle oil but no gas. So I think someone just put oil there. Im leaving the plug out for a few days since im just letting the girlfriend son ride it here in the property so there is no risk to get water there. I will check everyday but im sure the issue is resolved.

Thanks!