Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

+3 a-arms legal for mx and rear end? Pep Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are +3 a-arms legal for mx racing? what axle or rear end mods do i need to accomodate the front end width?
Are pep shocks better than tcs? i am looking at buying some used and getting them rebalved for my weight what is involved in this. How long and how much $$
thanks

Old 05-30-2001, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

I can only answer 1 of those questions and I probably still won't answer that right. I would say that you should get a +4 axle to accomodate the front. Just my opinion though. Good luck, let me know how it turns out and handles.

Old 05-30-2001, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

is that 2 incheson each side or 4 inches on each side?

Old 05-31-2001, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Come on nobody races here?

Old 05-31-2001, 04:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think in local races, the +3 a-arms should be legal. Unless the local tracks are very strict. Anyway, I believe at Nationals, with a stock frame, +2 a-arms are the widest you can have. With an aftermarket frame, +3 a-arms are legal. This is due to the 1" narrower front end of the aftermarket frames. This is true for a 250R. I'd think it would be legal for a 400EX as well.

About the PEP and TCS shock question. I have the TCS, and really like them. Both are very good shocks. I heard that TCS is going to start using the bigger Elka shock bodies instead of the Works bodies that they have been using. This will make the dimensions similar to Custom Axis, but I don't think that they will be quite as adjustable as Axis. The TCS have what they call an SCS (Sag Control System). These shocks perform similarly to Zero-Preload shocks. What kind of PEP shocks are you looking at buying (PEP Standard, Limited-MASS, or ZPS)? Are you getting a good deal on them? Depending on what style of shock you are looking at buying, the condition of the shocks, the kind of riding you do, and price of them should be the deciding factors. Like I said, they are both very good shocks.

You asked what is involved in revalving the shocks. Shock builders should replace the internal shock fluid with new fluid. I believe that they will put more or less fluid and/or nitrogen (probably nitrogen) in the shock depending on rider weight, machine, and riding style. Also, the shocks may be re-sprung for your weight, riding style, etc. I'm not really sure about this entire process, but I told you about all I know about it.

Now, to the rear end question. I believe you should look into a good axle if you want to widen the rear. I would suggest a Lonestar or RPM Dominator axle. These are the best out there with REAL lifetime warranties. They aren't Pro-Rated, so it's worth the money to get one.

Sorry for the small book I wrote. I hope I helped you out. Good luck. If you have anymore questions, ask me, and I'll try and help.

Old 06-01-2001, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies. THey really helped me out. I think i am planning on getting elkas with +2+1 strongarn a-arms. and +4 Lonestar axle.