CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Drag racing food for thought.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drag racing food for thought.

I doubt that many guys will share much info here but I'm bored so here are a few things I was wondering if anyone has tried for drag racing purposes only.

Lightened flywheel.
Different chain
Removed rear brakes
Lighter axle
Lighter hubs
Lighter sprockets
Lighter wheels.
Balanced reciprocating mass
Adjustable ignition timing
Adjustable cam sprockets
Removed water pump

If I had a purpose built drag machine, almost all of the above would be done. Most of the above just arent practical for the weekend warrior though. The most interesting would be a Ti or Carbon fiber axle, since thats where most of the rotational mass could be reduced. Adjustable ignition and cam sprockets look interesting also.

Old 11-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: Rockey
I doubt that many guys will share much info here but I'm bored so here are a few things I was wondering if anyone has tried for drag racing purposes only.

Different chain
Removed front brakes
Lighter axle
Lighter hubs
Lighter sprockets
Lighter wheels.
Adjustable ignition timing
Well I do know that the list above are the things that have been done. Notice I changed rear to front on the brakes. There is an Titanium Axle that you can buy from RAD Manufacturing Just take out a loan before you call and you have to run a Honda or Yamaha bolt pattern so that means new rims. There have been a few people that have changed there chain from a 530 to a top notch 520. I have also read where they have switched to a Banshee carrier and thus using the lighter axle and components. You can get lighter sprockets(I think TI) from Sprocket Specialties and I think one other. The adjustable CDI you will be able to get soon from TVI and is made by MSD. I would like to see the following:

A trully strong but light Swingarm made from Chrome Moly tubing or Ti tubing
Someone that can actually build a big bore and do it fast and reliably(Sam Coe cant do it either just ask majorecho)
Head work that is in the real world of pricing. 2800 just to get a single cylinder head done is blasfemy. You can get a V8's HEADS done with the most state of the art technology done to it for less than that.

Old 11-24-2002, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

wouldn't you loose the front brakes instead?
THen you should get the 6 piston caliper for the back to slow it down. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

1. titanium axel
2. 250 fiddy r hubs
3. titanium brake disc
4. lightened fly wheel
5. tripple buff tires
6. 4" drop front and back
7. titanium sprockets
8. removed raditor fan
9. coustom rear spring
10.??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????? it gose on and on and on

Old 11-24-2002, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LERaptor660R
wouldn't you loose the front brakes instead?
THen you should get the 6 piston caliper for the back to slow it down. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I personally would want to lose the the rear brake. You want to lose as much of the driven rotational mass as possible. You can lose more weight by dropping the front brakes but that weight isn't as important. I heard that every pound that is saved from the rotaional mass is worth 10 pounds of dead weight off the vehicle. That might be an exaggeration though.

Old 11-24-2002, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

then how would you stop her then. ?????

Old 11-24-2002, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hey AZSand, How much did the Ti axle set you back? I bet with all that weight you saved on the unsprung weight the suspension works a lot better as well.

Anyone done anything with the valves, like a 5 angle valve job with a 30 degree backcut or undercut stems?

Old 11-24-2002, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AZSAND
then how would you stop her then. ?????

Haven't you seen the Flintstones???????

Old 11-24-2002, 08:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

axel and hubs 1000 bucks its the rad demon mentioned.

Old 11-24-2002, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

I would also loose the front brakes, and use a 6 piston caliper rear. Titanium struts, instead of shocks. Ti drag pipem like RaptorRRC made for the raptors, .125 rims, and super-light tires, no need for new hubs, just machine down the old hubs. Durablue hollow aluminum axle should shave some lbs. You could always loose the wiring/lights/batters/airbox, etc. and just have someone pull-start you every time. Serious draggers could loose the oil tank, etc. Hmmm.... now you got me thinking.

Quick Reply: Drag racing food for thought.