CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

popping at midrange

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping at midrange

ok first my buddies ds wount start (valves out of adj. intake way to tight) thanks for the help on that one guys!!!!!!!! now we come to a new problem its poping in the midrange. we have taken the carb apart and cleaned it, fresh gas, plug check = tan, recheck valve clearnce&timing. thing is the longer it runs the worse it gets,also if you leave it pegged it will come out of it and run real good. all jetting is stock along with the rest of it. things we think it might be are bad coils, bad cdi, or ?!@#$%^&..
please help he took it in to the shop they realy didnt do any thing and it ran fine in the back yard, so we took it 2 our riding spot and then it started acting up again and all he got was 90 buck poorer.

thank you again for any help
chris

Old 11-26-2002, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Definately a carb problem. If it was ignition it would never clear out- in fact, it would run worse with higher RPMs.
Check the diaphragm on top of the carb for misallignment or a hole. Also check the needle clip position, it should be around the middle position depending on mods and elevation.
There has been a rash of cracked carb boots lately so thats worth checking. Spray some W/D40 around the boot while the engines running, if the idle changes every time you hit the same spot it may be cracked

Questions;

1. Does it idle?
2. where is the poping comming from the carb or the exhaust.
3. Have you replaced your plugs?

Let us know how it goes

Old 11-26-2002, 04:48 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like jast about the same problem i'm having, its jast that i'm right after a rejet, so if you have the same problem it might not be that my jeting is wrong? let me know what you find out.

Old 11-26-2002, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

to answer JSsds questions
1.yes it idles fine, infact it starts with no choke and then purrs like a kitten.
2.the popping is coming from the exhaust.
3.yes it has new plugs we first changed them to do a plug test at midrange and then put another new set in.

i really dont understand because the bike is bone stock, i could see a problem if we had changed something.
i hope this helps because we dont want to bring it back to the shop. we will try seeing if the wd-40 thing works because it had back fired a few times when the valves were out of adjustment.

thanks again
chris

Old 11-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it starts without the choke you are probably running rich.

Old 11-27-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, sounds rich at idle but lean at mid range.
Did ya check the diaphragm on top of the carb? There have been reports of holes being cut into it by a unmachined area on the carb. It worth checking.

Well, its off to Dumont for the week...hope you get the thing running.

Old 11-29-2002, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

JSsDS you were right!!!! we took the carb apart againand found a small hole it the rubber diaphragm, it wont be in till next week but i think that it should take care of the problem thank you very much!! i would hate to think of how many times he would have taken it in to the shop before they would of found that, because you had to pull on it a littel bit to see the hole. its only a 20 bollar part but caused us a lot of hair pulling. one last question what is the corect number of turns out for the idle screew?

thank you all again for all your help guys!!
chris

Old 11-30-2002, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

YA THANKS JSsDS!!!!!!! i jast checkd, mine has a hole in it to!!!!! thanks, i'm so happy i found whats wrong with it!!!!!!
thanks alot

Old 12-03-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

GREAT!!! Glad to see you fixed it. Now, before you put the new diaphragm in smooth out the rough spot that caused the hole...I hate to see it happen again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2002, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the edvice JSsDS, but i was so happy that i found something wrong that i jumpd to conclutions... it didnt solve enything. so i'm going to get the entire electrical system checkd.
Hey cb2000warrior, did it solve your friends problem?
And the SOB (my dealer) sold it to me for $50!!!! and it was the only place i could get it so he got my pind!!!! that SOB.....

Quick Reply: popping at midrange