CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Blinking oil light

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 07:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking oil light

I have a problem with my temp. light. When i ride it blinks on and off. Also when i tap on it, it blinks. Any sugguestions on how to fix it

Old 12-14-2002, 11:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check behind the dash first. Sounds like a loose electrical connection.

Old 12-15-2002, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with DuneMe, sounds like a loose wire or a short if it does it when you tap on it.

Old 12-15-2002, 05:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It gets its power from one of two sources - temp sensor and oil pressure sensor. You'll have to narrow down which one is sending the voltage to the light, and then start checking that circuit. the most likely candidate will be a faulty oil pressure switch, although it could actually be a legitimate warning, indicating fluctuating oil pressure or something. it shouldn't be a loose wire, because there should be no voltage on the wires going to the light unless one of the sensors was sending it.

Old 12-15-2002, 11:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

to add to what hightower said, there has to be power for a light to work, which would indicate that one of the sensors is sending a warning, that being said tapping on the light isn't causing the light to come on it is causing the light to go off. having two ds's i've repaired the warning lights on both machines, the wires disconnect( inside the bulb) and will raddle around. i'm thinking that the tapping causes the wire to make contact, and that shine glow that makes us go not now. they can be soidered on real easy and it seems to last , months on both machines for me. good luck.

Old 12-15-2002, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There was something else wrong. The electric fan went out for the 5th time. Talked to bombardier and they are sugguesting an up grade to the baja rubber bushings for the back of the fan. I guess they got tired of spending money on just fixing it. Because they are warrenting it and my warrenty went out 5 months ago.

Old 12-15-2002, 02:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have radiator shrouds and I will be changing the engine coolant to engine ice when i get it back. Hopefully that will cool it enough so I dont have to worry about the fan working or not. Can anyone sugguest what mixture I should use when mixing it.

Old 12-15-2002, 04:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

sounds like your might have started to run on the warm side thus the light

Old 12-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Both

Old 12-15-2002, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

fans are tricky to install, all four mounting points need shimmed perfectly to avoid binding the plastic housing when tightening the screws. The slightest binding of the housing will result in excess current draw to overcome the resistance created, and degrade the motor windings over time, thus causing failure. Not saying this is your issue, but may be worth looking in to. This is another area the factory failed to communicate to dealer mechanics.

I didn't know you could convert to the rubber mounts - my dealer said no kit is available. If you find out otherwise, let us know - I'd be happy to change to it too.

Quick Reply: Blinking oil light