Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

HERE IS THE SCOOP ON THE CV'S

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HERE IS THE SCOOP ON THE CV'S

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Cant wait to see it.

Old 06-09-2003, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Catsmeow, we are talking about axles shafts mostly, the title of this thread is not really correct. It should rear, "Here is the scoop on the Axle Shafts"

Now replacing an axle shaft is not cheap. Also if you break the outer CV you will be replacing the axle shaft because the outer can not be replaced, only the inner. So its really expensive if you bust the outer CV or the axle shaft. If you break the inner CV count yourself lucky.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Range Rover

i suppose. is it very expensive to replace a straight axle? i'll take the irs and gc anyday. i also like how the wheels stay on the ground most of the time. if i break another anything along those shafts i will get the gorillas. utility riders are going to have to get used to irs and more moving parts, just look at all the big bores, except the p650.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

An axle with the outer CV and boot will run you about $300 (US) I believe, Gorrila are about the same but stronger and I don't know if the Gorrila axles have the outer CV removeable or not, I would sure hope they would. If you trash the entire axle shaft, CVs and all, then be prepared to spend like $500 (US). I just can't have an unreliable quad, I live way to far away from a dealership, 10 hours. I prefer to ride, not sit in the my garage and think about how much mud I can go through if I had 12" of GC or the smoothest ride.

Now that I think about it, the title for this thread is correct. It is the CV joint spline that is failing not the axle shaft. I don't know how much half a CV joint would cost.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Range Rover

I prefer to ride, not sit in the my garage and think about how much mud I can go through if I had 12" of GC or the smoothest ride.
if thats the case your in the perfect situation. you can ride that p650 to edge of some mud and think about it there, but i know you'll get there fast and those gold rims will be lookin' good. i don't like sit in my garage either.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Well if you broke an axle shaft or CV on the trail and couldn't get a replacement on short notice I think you would be sitting in your garage and I would be on the trail driving on the sides of mud holes, because the P650 sucks in mud, espcially with that locker, who would want 4 tires to spin any way? lol

Just bugging you, gotta rub it in you know.

Old 06-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

10 hours away from a dealer.?in manitoba where you going to find a dealer alberta.you can drive through 3 provinces in 10 hours.i guess im going to have to get out my map and see where Gillam is.10 hours seems pretty far for manitoba.

Old 06-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, 10 hours straight north. It sucks being so far away.

Old 06-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Range Rover

bbertram, all jokes aside, have you had any trouble with the p650? you have to admit to some problem. wet trans belt?, too many spark plugs?, too many carburators? come on, something. you going to screw around and have me talked into one.

Old 06-09-2003, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Of course there are downfalls. I did bust a CV joint but I think it was defective from the way it broke. I didn't break it totally just that one ball bearing would fall out because the cage that holds them in broke and pushed the metal out and tore the boot and caused my stearing to screw up. The steering wasn't broken or anything, the CV caused it to feel broken.

The belt has slipped in water and on dry ground but the belt needed to be tightned and the black spring is recommened. With the belt now tight and my black spring installed I have experienced no belt slippage at all, Kawi is known to send the quads out with belts on the loose side of the spec.

Hmmm....what else...the ride is not as good as the IRS but not bad either. Coming from a 500i with 14" of GC with my outlaws and going to a stock tired P650 with like 9" of GC is hard in the rutted trails that I once drove through. I do get hung up but with the locker it helps alot and can get me through most of the time. Once I get my Outlaws on I think I will be able to go through just as much as my 500i did with the outlaws. The locker makes up the difference in GC and the extra power with more wheel spin does also help alot!

Overall I am very happy with my Praire 650, it sounds so awesome, no vibrations and I love the power, its so awesome. Its also detuned big time! With a module you can unleash the power for low and/or top end. Soon a CDI will be out and will offer increased power throughout the entire RPM. The Praire convinced me how good an auto can be and I will be trading my Z400 for a V-force next summer.

Thats how it is, oh and my Praire is almost as fast as my Z400.

Quick Reply: HERE IS THE SCOOP ON THE CV'S