Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Is it just me??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-1999, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,This can't just be happing to me so tell the truth guys.Heres the scoop studied my next quad purchase for 4 months and decided on Arctic Cat 300 4x4.Still own Polaris explorer 250 4x4 and hve had several yamaha's and honda's havent had a problem with any of them except my new Arctic Cat I've own it for about 2 months ridden it 4 times have 126 miles on it And every time I take it out the damn thing breaks which is quite embarrising being that I rant and rave to all my riding buds about hoe awsome this machine is,So here it is 1st ride 20 miles into it the 4wheel drive selector nobb falls of location unknown still have 45 miles to go to complete the trail.2nd ride me and wife 18 miles from my truck the nuetral safty switch goes out this is a 99 model so can't start quad electricaly or manualy,(ruins the rest of the 6 hour day of riding)so my wife POLARIS tows me back.Last night went riding with wife around 9oclock we leave the camp to go for a night ride 5miles out I do a little drop off lights go out.10 minutes later discover its a fuse how lucky have a extra,put it in lights work go out about 2 more miles hit another bump lights go uot again no more fuses so I must now leave the planned trail ride early again in the dark tring to see off my wifes polaris lights 7 miles back to camp.So not only did I blow 5 grand on a machine that so far hasnt let me even finish any of my planned riding event but it make me look like a complete *** to all of my POLARIS and HONDA buds I go riding with.my desision to go ARTIC CAT was based on the posts I 've read however I'm begining to wonder if All of the other AC owners have had similar problems and are just to prideful to admitt,hey guys ***** up a little and tell other the problems you've had not for the purpose of bashing our brand but so others can make an acurate desision.No one likes to admitt there brand broke that why the polaris forum Has nothing but Excellent trouble free anglelic like stories which we all know is BULLS@$#%^T I've even had problems withmy xplorer so fess up people!

Old 11-14-1999, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you got a Lemon, a first for Arctic Cat that I have heard about. The lights thing is a lose wire I can tell you that.

I have had a few troubles and hear they are:
1) Yesterday I went to check my radiator because my over heat light came on, I couldn't see any water in it.
2) My Arctic Cat 500 was given to me with a burnt bulb, but I still had to pay for it.
3)Screw on air filter was bent whrn I got it, dealer bent it back, FOR FREE WOW!!!
4) I had 3 boil overs so far that I know of, 2 because I was in 2nd gear a full throttle while the radiator was cloged with mud, 1 while just riding around.
5) I bent the rear rack pulling out my buddy's 450s with Mud bugs
I have walked home only ounce because of some thing stupid I did, I let off the gas with water upto the racks and water went in the exhast, but after 2-3 hours it ran again. I have 1100 miles on it and if I ever have any more trouble I will let everyone know.

Arctic Cat 500, Can you say, "SAY WHAT?!?!?!"

Old 11-14-1999, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 1998 AC 300 4x4, 1,500 miles. I have not had one problem, I have not been back to the dealer yet. I just change oil and clean the airfilter.

Old 11-14-1999, 10:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Explorer, I haven't had any real problems with mine or I would have told of them. I would say you have a lemon, or at least one that can be fixed. I understand your grief though. Bill Ciliberti would too with the problems he had with his 99 Sportsman. Your light problem sounds like a short. Check the wiring to your lights and see if there is a place where the wire is showing out of the plastic covering. It could easily be touching the metal frame somewhere and grounding out the lead power wire. This will blow a fuse every time and is the reason the fuse box is there. Until you find the short, you will blow fuses constantly. My truck did that a year ago, and I found that my trailer wires were scraped up and were grounding out on the bumper and blowing fuses right and left. As for the 4wd selector, I think arctic Cat half-assed that one from the beginning. It almost looks homemade. I hope things get better for you, because you are the first person I've seen that has had major problems with a new AC.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 11-15-1999, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hello xplorer sorry to hear you are having the trouble you are I can honestly say that I have the 500 AC auto and have not had one bit of trouble with it the only thing that is bugging is a funny sound that sounds like it is coming from the speedometer cable other than that I have 200 miles on it and besides changing the oil have done nothing to it and it runs great the other posts were right on the money about the lights Andy and boner what kind of oil are you running in your 500 drop me an email Hope your luck gets better xplorer...

AC 500 nothing less

Old 11-15-1999, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Haven't seen many Artic Cats around. My friend's Honda has had some minor engine problems and my old Polaris has some starting problems.

My Max is almost six months old. It has been flawless since day one. No parts replaced or fixed. It takes all my punishment and comes back wanting more. Me and two friends even drove it off a 90 degree 6 feet high hill once. I still haven't rolled it but I am sure I would be the only thing hurt. I expect many more years of flawless workmanship.

There is nothing mightier than the Max.

MaxRules

Old 11-16-1999, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

And it goes a ripping 25 mph...just kidding Max

------------------

Old 11-16-1999, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys for your input,The dealer still hasn'tgot back with me yet however I kinda figuerd I was the only one having problems since I know the dealer pretty well and stop by quite frequently and his damn mechanic is always just sitting around like that stupid maytag commercial.I've only seen 2 ac's in service since i've been going there and the next closest dealer is in the next town 1 hour away so the must be good products, hopfully after this is fixed nothing more shall happen.have fun guys!!!!!

Old 11-16-1999, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for pointing that out. I just noticed the same thing. All three Arctic Cat dealers I went to there was a total of 3 used Arctic Cats in.

The first dealer had 1 used Arctic Cat 500 getting a lift kit, but 3 Grizzlies and about 20 other 80's quads(hard to tell what they were in all that grass).

The second dealer had a 300 2wd getting some 12 inch wide vampires put on the back.

The 3rd dealer, which I bouht my quad from, had a 454 getting a winch put on it.

I must say that when brought my quad in to get the water pump seal checked out the mechanic was very busy, but not with quads, but with boats.

Arctic Cat 500, Honda step aside.