Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2003-500i MANUAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS 6 months old been in shop 3x

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 01:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003-500i MANUAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS 6 months old been in shop 3x

My 5ooi MANUAL SHIFT has a miss shift mainly between 1st and 2nd gear, every so often it will happen between 3rd and 4th. I have had it to the dealers 3x since I bought it new January 2003.1st time they adjusted the clutch 2nd time it was there for 17 days and they tried an experiment to get the miss shift fixed ,it didn't work. Took it back to the dealers July 23 ,they split the cases and inspected all the transmission parts and couldn't find any difference between the original parts and new tranny parts they got from Arctic Cat. Called the dealer July 31 he told me they would not put the engine and tranny back together till they heard from AC about a fix for the tranny. Called Arctic Cat Customer Service August 1st and they got on the phone to there service technicians
and have come up with another experimental fix the dealers have to try out and let AC know the outcome before I can get my 2003-500i MANUAL SHIFT back. Anyone else with similar problems post em here!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2003, 04:31 AM
Pro Rider

i have been without my quad for 1 month and 25 days!! i told the dealer it was the tranny the first time I took it in but he didn't feel like taking it apart (he actually told me that). mine was missing shifts between gears, especially around 3-4th or 4-5th. still don't have my wheeler. I called arctic cat and that was a waste of time. I also heard a loud crunching whenever the quad was bounciing around or working really hard. I think that a piece of something was bouncing out of the oil (???) that is all I can figure out. Hang in there and the thing that I always try to remember is this:" is the true problem within the quad or the dealer"?? let us know what happens!

Old 08-07-2003, 04:35 AM
Pro Rider

one more thing: i told my dealer that driving up and down the road will not expose the problem, that he will either have to hook up to a downed tree and start yanking or take my word for it, the next day I saw him driving past my house. I went outside and asked him what he was doing, he said, "I don't know, I can't see or hear a problem, are you sure that the noises aren't normal?"!!!! just don;t get it?!?

Old 08-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

I have read of the same complaints in the Vinson manuals (same tranny). You should check in the Suzuki forums to see if there is a fix for it or call Suzuki direct.

Old 08-09-2003, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Got 2003-500i back from the dealer Thursday Aug,07 . I think they finally fixed it right this time. August 06 (Wednesday) the mechanic put all new parts in the tranny, took it out for a test drive and it was worse, He then took the shifting mechanism apart and put a shim behind the shift stop pin (I think its either part #3446-048 or 3446-056 browns leisure world) and this took care of the miss shift. After driving it myself I could feel the difference in the shifting (alot tighter and the shifting lever feels like there is a heavier spring pushing the lever back into the gear position...

Old 08-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Ewen
Got 2003-500i back from the dealer Thursday Aug,07 . I think they finally fixed it right this time. August 06 (Wednesday) the mechanic put all new parts in the tranny, took it out for a test drive and it was worse, He then took the shifting mechanism apart and put a shim behind the shift stop pin (I think its either part #3446-048 or 3446-056 browns leisure world) and this took care of the miss shift. After driving it myself I could feel the difference in the shifting (alot tighter and the shifting lever feels like there is a heavier spring pushing the lever back into the gear position...

Ewen,

Mine did the miss shift for the first time yesterday between 3rd and 4th. It acts like you described, as if a spring is not pulling it back into the gear position. Try to find out exactly what part was shimmed. Let us know if it still does it.

Old 08-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

What do you mean miss shifting? How can you tell? What does it do?

Old 08-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Range Rover

This describes it perfectly.

http://atvnation.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?...2&m=6126000992

Old 07-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Ewen
Did this part fix your quad because mine is really getting bad between third and fourth gear if it works I'll get the part.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE JULY 2004 , After being in the shop for the 4th time and about $38.00 worth of calls to AC in both the US and Canada they finally broke down and gave me a new engine / tranny in November 2003 . This was after I had called my lawyer and did numerous hours of research on how I could get AC to repair the problem and also get some retribution for my down time. I found out that in the state of Minnesota a manufacturer has three chances to fix their product successfully or they have to give you a new one. The only suggestion I can make to you people who have similar problems is to take your wheeler back to the dealer ,tell them the problem ,get the AC customer service reps number in Winnipeg from the dealer and call them to make sure they know what is going on . AB AUGER , The fix worked for a while but my main problem was a faulse neutral between 1st and 2nd gear.

Quick Reply: 2003-500i MANUAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS 6 months old been in shop 3x