Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

UNIMPRESSED WITH THE CAT 454

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNIMPRESSED WITH THE CAT 454

WHEN I SAY THIS I'M NOT MEANING TO DIS ARCTIC CATS, B/C ONE THING ABOUT QUAD RIDING IN THE MUD IS THE DRIVER, BUT ANY WAYS THE ARCTIC CAT 454 WITH NEW TITAN 589'S GOT STUCK EVERYTIME WE GOT TO A GOOD MUD HOLE, I HAVE A SCRAMBLER 400 4X4 WITH MUDLITES AND I JUST CRUZED THREW IT IN 2WD AND THE ARCTIC CAT GOT STUCK IT WAS A MUD HOLE ABOUT 200 YARDS LONG 50 FEET WIDE ABOUT KNEE DEEP , AND HAD A WICKED SUCSON. ANYWAYS HE GOT STUCK , IT FIRST BROKE A CHAIN ON A COME ALONG AND THEN THRON THE GEAR OUT OF A 2500 WINCH, THEN IT TOOK A 03 HONDA RINCON , KAW 700 WITH 28 VAMPS , A HONDA FOREMAN, 01 RUBICON , AND MY SCRAMBLER TO GET IT OUT , ITS A HEAVY MACHINE, BUT WHAT I COULDN'T UNDER STAND IS ALL I HAVE HEARD IS THAT ARCTIC CATS WERE MUD MACHINES AND WELL WHAT I SEEN ITS A ROAD MACHINE ANYHOW I CAN SAY THE ARCTIC TUNRED OUT TO BE ARCTIC CRAP

Old 08-26-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen many A polaris stuck and down for the count....So whats your point? And why do you have to shout.....turn the CAPs off dude!!!

Old 08-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

First off, don't bash Arctic Cat because it didn't work for you. Like fango said I've had to pull other brand out before? Different holes require different properties?

Old 08-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not bashing just wondering why the acrtic cat 454 is so heavy ,i'm not bashing on anyother but the 454 b/c thats the only one i have seen preform,. yet it wasn't just one mud hole he got stuck it he got stuck in almost every mud hole that wasup to the fenders, yet i have to say the racks on the the 454 are great it safed the guys life he was going up a 90 incline and he went to slow and the back rack saved him from filping over backwards,very impressed with rack,unimpressed with the speed,with i understand its a ute, and unimpressed with mud preformance. Yet i have to say the bike seemed to be a good bike, but if it was mine i'd have to have a winch and outlaws.

Old 08-27-2003, 12:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats pretty funny you know. I had a 99 500 AC. Same setup as the 454, and a little more power, but not a whole lot. Had some Mud Machines on it, and that thing tore *** in the mud. I guarantee I could eat up a scrambler with it. That true 4wd don't mean jack when your 5" ground clearance is draggin *** and you have a stick through your chain.

589's aren't anything to scream about either. They do pretty good, but there are better mud tires out there.

Old 08-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Range Rover

At a listed 625 # Dry weight, its not the lightest thing out there. But if you think they can't do anything in the mud you mite check out voodoo's picks. The I models are definitely a better mudder than the ACT, but I have definitely shown allot of other quad riders that the old 454 is no slouch!!

Old 08-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

I looked at voodoos picture and i didn't think that was any real bad mud, don't get me wrong it looks like a fun mud hole but its not that bad looking, but you can't tell how a mud hole till you get up in that stuff

Old 08-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

What pics were you looking at? A 454 is a heavy machine HEAVY, and old. Strait axle machine. With about 8 inches of clearance, what do you want for that?

Old 08-27-2003, 04:57 PM
Range Rover

Well savage21, I guess I wasn't there when the 454 was getting stuck and you were flying though in 2X so I will have to take your word for it. All I can tell you is I have 2 454's as stated in my sig and have had no problem with them at all. I have ridden with several other brands and not one of them have impressed me enough to give up my old quad. To try to answer your original question: The 98 454 was the 3rd year of A/C quads and there are built like a tank. Full heavy racks, Large fuel tank, steel foot boards, semi-independent rear suspension that is a heavy design, shaft drive just to name a few of the items that are heavier than most of today's quads.

If you are truly asking a question to us A/C guys you should probably refrain from words like "ARCTIC CRAP ".

Old 08-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

i derno i rode with him today i derno if it the driver or the tires i have mudlites on my 400 scrambler and he has got 589 titans, and today just every mud hole that was have way bad i just had to stop and hook the tow chain to him, which i have to say today i had to put it in 4wd threw all the mudholes today b/c it rained hard yesterday.so all i can say either the 589s completely suck or the 589 on a arctic cat sucks, i would like to see a arctic cat with mud lites, or even mudzilla or outlaws, i know mudlite aren't anything compared to outlaws and gators and mudzilla but i promise you that mudlite over all in weight and performance turnin the mudlite will out do them, but what can beat a outlaw and mudzilla in the mud?

Quick Reply: UNIMPRESSED WITH THE CAT 454