Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

question about shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about shocks

Two Dogs, Clifton is on I70 on the western side of Colorado. It is just outside of Grand Junction. Dolores is South of me, down by the four corners area and McFee Res. Just an after thought, but I guess you know where Dolores is.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Take a look in October 2003 4-Wheel ATV Action magazine and you will see a new Goodyear run-flat tire that has camoflage colors molded right into the rubber. It is said to be optional on Arctic Cat ATV's, and the ones in the picture are mounted on Arctic Cat wheels. They look great and have a very aggressive tread. The fact they can run flat is just gravy. I might upgrade the tires on my 375 to these things.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

ecorman is right (well half way). the dealer will give credit for the stock dunlops and mount the Titan 589 tire on the rims (not the ITP 589 MS). Probably not worth it though because the dealer gives nothing for the stockers.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Re the 03 shocks on the 02 older act suspension I did just that and found that the longer(and softer)shocks gave a better ride and increased clearance but the bike leaned badly on corners and sidehills and was not great. Also the new angle that the front CV joints were forced to run at was beyond the design limit and they failed. So I went back to the origonal shocks and sold the 02 and bought an 03.

The 03 is also giving me CV joint problems , they dont seem to be able to handle the angles that the suspension can produce in uneven terrain. Leads me to wonder if the new 650 will stress the CV's even more than the current models, not a good scene.

Old 09-28-2003, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]Just a question in general. I have a 2003 500i with 75 miles on, bought in May 03'. I think these adjustable shocks are JUNK! I have broken the adjusting tabs off the rear shocks 2 times now,and will be getting them replaced for the second time. Yes, I did have the machine jacked up the second time to relieve pressure and I have only attempted this procedure twice. I also broke the cheap little spanner wrench Cat sent with the machine, I am getting a new one of those too. I can't understand why A/C didn't use "Real" metal for these parts and not that crappy poured junk? Has anyone had similar problems and maybe better fixes or suggestions?

Old 09-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I had precisely the same experience as you. Ended up using waterpump pliers to adjust the shocks.Dont you hate dealing with junk.
My most recent beef is a broken right rear axle it snapped clean at the point of entry in to the rear diff. I am 3 months past warranty dealer checked with AC they will not cover. My front end snaps when turning tight especially while backing up. AC told my dealer it was worn ball joints(at 1000 miles!)so these were replaced no difference ball joints were found to be loose in A frame socket so used locktite to set them up still snapping so will have to look at CV joints next I guess.
Meanwhile my standard transmission continues to shift into neutral between gears during aggessive up shifting usually between 1st and 2nd and it ends up between 2nd and 3rd lots of grinding as you would expect as you wait for the revs to slow down enough to move it in to gear drives me crazy. Dealer does not seem to be able to find out what the fix proceedure is. I need to make a change but cant bring myself to buy either a Kawi 650 with a belt or a 650 Honda with only three gears life is a bitch.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]