Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What tire to use for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tire to use for winter?

winter is quickly approaching and i don't know what tire to use. should i keep the stockers on and drill some screws in for traction or should I leave my mudlites on. any info would be appreciated. i ride on a lot of ice but also like to play in the fields and woods in the heavy snow

Old 09-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

i have a freind with mudlites on his and thats what he used last year and he said they worked great.
i put gators on mine in march and when i found some snow to play in i found that they worked better then the stockers.
stay with the mudlites i think they will be better.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Mudblaster stay with the Mudlites.

Vince

Old 09-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer

Depends a lot on the kind of winter you get. Early in the snow season stock tires with studs are ok but as the snow gets deeper you need to go narrower and taller with deep lugs and ice studs wherever you can find a place to screw them in. The deep lugs are not great on ice so you must have the studs. For deep snow I use Super Swamper 28 inch EDL and they are truely incredible but they take a lot of power to turn and the drive line takes a beating especially if they spin and grab. Later in the season when the snow has warmed up and refrozen or wind packed you need wider tires again to float on top. Some people get away with chains on stock tires when snow is say not more than 1ft deep and there is a bit of ice around. If you put chains on taller deep lug tires they usually slip between the lugs and dont work so well and of course they add weight and therefore loss of power.
An all season compromise that works here in Alberta is 27inch Mudbugs, 12 inch wide on the rear and 8 inch wide on the front for the summer with an extra pair of 8 inch wide for the rear during winter( It helps to have spacers when the narrow tires are on the rear)Studs added for winter. Means you have to buy 6 tires to cover both seasons.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Range Rover

What about on 2 wheel drives? Alot of the really agressive tires are made for big 4x4's, but I want to know what would run best in snow for my V-Force. I was thinking about mud-lites, but one of the mechanics at my local dealer said there's nothing better than Realtors for the snow. They're a little rough on the road into the woods, but he said they're great early, and when the snow gets deep, you can swap the back tires and run them backwards for better floatation on the snow.