Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Which Tire is Right For the New Guy???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tire is Right For the New Guy???

HOWDY;
I am brand new as of today to this site and the proud owner of a Cat, I really like the advice you guys give here there is not alot of people that own Arctic Cat ATV's in my KY. town most of the dealers are Honda,Yamaha or Polaris.
I have an 02 Cat 500 Auto,4X4. I really liked how much stronger and tougher it looked than the competitions.
Anyhow, my Cat only has 50 miles on it(I don't ride much and it was a left over at the dealer )I am wanting to put a better set of tires on it for trail riding, some muddin and alot of hunting. I am leaning toward the GBC Gators or the GBC Dirt Devils XT. Which tires do you fellers suggest and also should I complete the break-in on my Cat before I install the tires? How much taller of a tire can I install without rubbing it has 25's right now?
THANKS
Mike

Old 09-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Welcome to the forums, hope you stay! The GBC Gators are a good choice, they are going to get you wherever you want to go, and if they don't, then you shouldn't be there anyway. About the breaking in, I would think it would be a really good idea to finish the break-in before adding and subracting tires, with 50 miles it has to get used to the tires it has on it already. I would wait until you got about 150-175 miles on her before the tire swap. Just take a weekend off and find some good trail riding, those miles will add up in no time. Hope I could help. =)

Old 09-28-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to ATV Connection.
I have to agree with Suzukiquadkid the Gators are a good choice and I too would what until it had a few more miles on it.Some people will disagree but what does it hurt.Like SQK said take it out for a weekend and ride it.As for size it depends on whether you have an act or a i model.On my 400i I have 26" Mud Bugs and have no clearence problems.You should be able to clear 27's with out to much problem.If I am wrong I hope someone corrects me.

Vince

Old 09-29-2003, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

duster, you can put 28/12's all the way around it if you want, no problem. i love the gators for lots of mud and some trail riding. the devils will be more suited for more trail, less mud. pick your favorite terrain and you'll be pleased with either one i'm sure. take your time and get as much info as possible. the break in is not scientific. my dealer recommends 100 miles but i don't think big mud tires will cause much difference if any. good luck