Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Primer? What Primer? Starting 375 automatic

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primer? What Primer? Starting 375 automatic

I have two 375 automatics I am having problems with. They don't want to start all the time. If I don't run them for a few months and come to start them the will not fire. It is like they are not getting gas. I brought one back to the dealer and once it started for them he could not recreate the problem. It was a head scratcher for sure. I looked in the manual and it shows using a primer switch or something down by the carb but I can't find anything like this on my machine. I don't see anything on the carb that looks like a pump or a primer. Maybe someone can better discribe what I am looking for to me.

A friend showed me a trick to start them and I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about it. I turn the fuel control to reserve and they will start right up. I don't see anything in the manul telling about this process and I am wondering if anyone here has more knowledge of how to correctly prime/choke these things to start when they have sat for some time.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Range Rover

Hey 7MMSTWCoyoteHunter,
The primer is on the right side of the carb. towards the engine, it has a hole in it at the end.(you would think a cable should be attach to it).
There is another trick, when you park your bike, run the carb. out of gas. Then when you turn the gas on the next time you use it with the choke it should start.
I hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

CoyoteHunter, There is no primer on a 375 ! Your friend that told you about 1st using the reserve side of gas tank **** might no more than you thought. As for me I just take the seat off & stick my hand over the Air Intake, & my 375 starts right up, no problem.....What Artic Cat calls a choke is not a choke at all, it is an enrichner, supposed to act like a choke, I find it doesn't. Is why I use hand over intake method, n it works......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

375 does not have primer, should start with choke unless it is really cold. Don't know where you are located but unless you are down to around 10 to 20 degrees should start with choke. One thing I have found is that if idle is set to fast enrichner doesn't work well. Slide is held up to high and fuel is not pulled though enrichner. Try slowing idle down a little and see if it helps.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tork, You are correct on many things, although today I used the reserve side of tthe fuel tank **** n my 375 started much better. Today the temperature was +25 F., n last week we were in the range of temp.'s of -5 F. to a high of +10 F... Don't know if the warmer temp. today was the reason for better starting or not. In the next few days we are supposed to be back in the range of the past few weeks, n I'll try it again, the same way as today.
When we were in the minus temp.'s I had to put my hand over the air intake to get my 2002 375 Automatic to start...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tork, & CoyoteHunter, Today (January 29, 2004) it was -18 F. outside. I went out to my 375 quad n used the reserve side of the fuel tank ****, with the enrichner, or as Artic Cat calls it the "choke" pulled towards me as I sat on the seat. I think the starter rolled the engine over 6-9 times n my 375 was running, actually purrin like a kitten.

a secret to this is when putting it back, I set the tank **** to the "OFF" position, & let it idle till it runs out of gas, for some reason it seems to help the next time you try to start the 375 in the "RESERVE" position. Right now the temp. is up to a balmy +4 F. almost time to put on bermuda shorts ....LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]