Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Residual Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Residual Valve?

Are the arcitc cat 500's or any model equiped with residual valves in the breaking system? A residual valve will keep the break pad up close to the rotor thus reducing any play in the system. Could one be added? I understand the 04's have stainless steel break lines v/s rubber this year. Also is there any reason that another Break setup could be adapted to the A/C's that have seperate front and rear break levers? I do not yet own a Quad but am highly considering the 500 Cat. The only thing that bothers me is the break system as i have seen MANY posts from others who do not like the system.

Old 10-28-2003, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Residual Valve?

mine is an 03 500 and it has steel braded hoses.
and the only problem with the breaks is that you have to pump them once or twice.
and thats minor seeing as some of the guys i ride with dont eaven have breaks.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default Residual Valve?

I have an '02 400i that came with some '03 mods, stainless braided brake lines as one.

I originally noticed the similar condition where I would have to pump the lever on occasion. After cutting the top fo the master cylinder gasket (at the air inlet side just under the cover), the problem went away completely. After properly burnishing the brakes, they work just fine.

There are no springs to pull the pads away from the discs, so as long as the wheel bearings are good and the discs are not warped, the pads will be riding right above the discs. Hence the occasional dust squeak. I've never heard of "residual valves" on brakes, so I can't help you with that.

And yes, the mechanical foot brake on right rear wheel is not going to stop anything quickly, but if adjusted properly, it does indeed work to slow you down, or lock up the rear if going down a loose gravel hill. Like the rear brake on anything, it doesn't have much stopping power, but apparently everyone doesn't know that, so you will see many complaints about the foot brake.

I like my Cat. Just wish it had a little more power.

Old 10-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Residual Valve?

I have a '03 500i and i have no complaints about the brakes. They work everytime no pumping required, and they work damn good i might add i can go from 40 to stopped in just a few seconds, of course you gotta be careful doing that on gravel cause i've aslo done many 180's without trying[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2003, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Residual Valve?

your brakes go out because you have a loose wheel bearing. I know that this sounds wierd but believe me it is true. jack it up and wiggle the wheels. if you get ANY play that is the source of the problem. The reason this happens is because the disk slaps the pads and pushes them in forcing fluid into the master cylinder. Therefore you have to pump them up to get them to touch the disc again!