Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC wheel bearings

does anyone know if you can get sealed wheel bearings for a big cat (400-650)? I have a 400i and the wheel bearings keep going out. Im running 27x11-12s on the rear and 27x9-12s on the front. They are Titan 589 MTs and they dont weigh that much. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anyway to fix it or can you get sealed bearings or what??? Thanks!

Old 10-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

God I love this site, so much good info. I was was wondering about the wheel bearings too. The dealer told me you have to put new bearings in at 2500 miles. why ?? do the other quads have this problem too. Also , I was wondering is this expensive to replace and can you do it yourself. Sorry for answering a question with a question with a question. I'm shopping for a quad and am leaning towards a cat.

Old 10-31-2003, 10:35 PM
Range Rover

You might try a bearring shop, the new AC bearings have numbers and if I remember right have the size imprinted on them, I have needed to look into this since a set will only last me two to three rides, Next time I get a set I will run around and see if I can find the same size but in a sealed

later
BCD

Old 11-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey BCD if you find aset let me know. Tell me who makes it and the number.

Old 11-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Animalal, you only have to worry about them if you ride in alot of mud. The bearings are not sealed but instead have external seals. The mud eats up the seals and then the bearings. They cost about $35 EACH and the seals run about $1.50. You can replace them your self if you have a press and a C-clip tool but if you dont have a C-clip tool you might be able to use a pair of screwdrivers. And like BCD said, they only last 3-4 trips if you dont wash out around them. But believe me, this problem doesnt make it not worth getting. You should still get a Cat and i would recemend the new 650 V-twin.

Old 11-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I meant to tell you on my last thread that the 2500 miles would only work if you jacked the rear end up in the air and floored it for about three days, then you MIGHT get 2500 miles on them. The dealer you were talkin to just wanted to make a sale and in my opinion he is a dang lyer or doesnt know what the crap hes talkin about.

Old 11-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks catboy, he must be a lier. someone else told me they didnt trust him either. I did a search on wheel bearings and someone found sealed bearings for a different quad, so maybe there's hope for you guys. It also talked about adding a grease zerk to keep out mud and water.

Old 11-02-2003, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

thought about that but i would rather run sealed bearings if possible. if not i guess ill try that. im sick and dang tired of putting in bearings every 200 miles.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Trailblazer

Here's what I've done to extend the life of my bearings. When I was ready to install them, I diassenbled them and cleaned all the grease out of them. Then I packed them full of waterproof grease -I used Mobil 1 grease- and proceeded with assembly, making sure that there was a surplus of grease in the hub. The idea is to fill the hub and bearings completely with grease, leaving no room for water, mud. or ? . So far, it's worked well. It's worth a try!

Old 11-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

most bearings are straight forward metric ball bearings that can be obtained with seals or with out. If someone has a old bearing or is going to take one apart to repair the bearings get the # of the bearings and take them to a bearing store . most bearings are cheap and should be repalced with sealed bearings if possible . by the way if they are tapered bearings they wont be available with seals. if someone gets the # or sizing i will pass all the info on to you guys as printed in the bearing book. unsealed bearings wont last as long as sealed bearings but should last a few years anyway under normal conditions.

Quick Reply: AC wheel bearings