Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Getting a winch

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-1999, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a winch, bad. I go in ruts that were made by a a Sportsman 500 with 27" Vamps. When I get in these ruts ALL 4 TIRES COME OFF THE GROUND. I have been riding with a freind on a 450s with 27" Mud Bugs but he only gets off for a week between the 7 weeks he works and I can only ride on the week end. SO I HAVE NO ONE TO PULL ME OUT. I can only trail ride when he is not there and I am getting tired of it. I MISS THE MUD!!!!!!

So I want to know what you guys think I should get for my Arctic Cat 500 that will stay in the mud after I get my winch.

P.S I will be working on putting on a home made Liftkit for my 500 this weekend. I hope this will make my winch less used.

Arctic Cat 500, Soon to have a winch and a liftkit even sooner.

Old 12-07-1999, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boner, I believe all ATV winches are quality products.

A new SuperWinch T1500/ATV2000 was tested for 9 hours under water and produced a stall pull of 2400 pounds after the immersion.

The SuperWinch ATV2000 features an internal spring brake (a brake can be added to the T1500).

Whatever winch you buy, I recommend a ****** block. A ****** block costs and weighs a tenth of a winch's cost and weight, yet doubles extraction force and permits versatile angle pulls.

You can find more data on the Polaris forum "winch question" topic.

Tree Farmer

Old 12-08-1999, 12:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Get the Warn. It will fit much better on your atv. It looks stock with the factory made mount. I personally think the Superwinch looks crappy despite its performance. It is priced accordingly. I doubt that anyone with a Warn will tell you to get a Superwinch and vice versa.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 12-08-1999, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with Andy. I have had a bad experiense with a Super Winch on a freind's 450. The crapy switch gave him ALOT of trouble and the day we met it could not get him out of a mud hole. It would tighten the cable and that was it, the quad would not buge. I am now considering that 30,000-Lb. rolling load winch for my quad. It comes with an emergency hand crank if something electrical happens(breaks). I was consdering the Warn 2500 but I don't think I could afforad it and mud tires.

Old 12-08-1999, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Boner, I agree that nobody would tell you that you should buy the other one if they have a Warn to buy the Superwinch and the other way. I have the Warn 2000 winch with the factory mounting kit with the roller fairlead, I have had no problem with all of my stuff, i just am looking for a handlebar mounted switch to work the winch, I just think the switch is sort of awkward to use but still no problems. I do agree with Tree Farmer that a ******- block is in order.

Old 12-08-1999, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, my friend hates his Super winch. He wanted to give it to me but I didn't want to add extra weight to my quad with something that wasn't up to the task(in other words if it coulbn't pull out a 58? lb quad how is it going to pull a 650 lb quad out). He is selling it for 100 bucks with 30 ft of cable because he broke the first one.

Old 12-08-1999, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Boner, go to Tractor Supply (or a similar place) and get a new cable. After you use it, always take a couple of minutes and respool it back on smoothly. It will last much longer and not get in a bind.
I have never seen any 2000 pound winch fail to pull a quad out. It may have happened, I just have not seen it, yet. But, I do see some awfully obese people that are riding big quads and their combined weight looks to be about 4 metric tons. If you ever get in that situation, and don't have a ****** block, get off your rig and while pulling in some cable, help it by adding a little throttle in. But, I don't think you will have any trouble.
If I had to choose between tires/wheels and a winch, I would take a winch. Because, no matter what quad and tires you have, it is going to get stuck.
Good Luck

[This message has been edited by TxDoc2 (edited 12-08-1999).]

Old 12-08-1999, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boner, get whatever winch you want!

New,SuperWinch heavy-duty handlebar-mounted rocker switches with two dust covers offer improved control and reliability.

I own both Warn and SuperWinches. My advice: Buy the one you like better, whether you know someone who hates it or not.

Tree Farmer

P.S. Since you say you're on a budget, i.e., considering winch vs. mud tires, why not get a comealong? For $ 15, you can have 2000 # of extraction force (4000 # with a ****** block). That oughta pull that cat out of the gumbo! Or do you know someone who hates comealongs? (Smiley face here!)

T.F.

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 12-08-1999).]

Old 12-08-1999, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

TreeFarmer--I saw a guy at a poker run with one of the hand crank winches, like you see on a boat trailer. He said it had different gearing. I did not see him use it. Have you ever heard of anything like that?

Old 12-08-1999, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

I have consider both of those I ideas. I am considering that boat winch. I think that I could make a mount that would mount on trees instead of the quad. It would comsist of 2 L brakets ,to which the winch would mount to one, that would bolt together around the tree. I think I could make it out of square tubing and drill different hole for different size trees. What you think?

I often get stuck in a VERY BIG DITCH. It is virtually impossible to climb because the trail up it slick. The reason I don't like the comealong is because it will only pull you 6 feet at the most and this ditch is about 15 feet deep. If I could un hook the quad and respoll the come-a-long the quad would slide back down. So thats why I don't like the come-a-long.

Quick Reply: Getting a winch