Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

03 AC 300 Idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 AC 300 Idle problems

I think youre "off right now", too. (not sure what that means) Hopefully we are helping you.
There is only the one mark on the flywheel, and either its at the top of compression stroke or top of exaust stroke. If you can wiggle both rockers,( when on the mark)then youre on the correct cycle. Unless both are adjusted too tight, then you wont be able to wiggle them at either top.
If i was you, id try restarting and running for awhile, before putting the rejet kit back in. If you put the kit back in now, and youre still having problems, you wont know if adjusting the valves helped or not.
Id run it long enough to know if the problems are gone or not. then put the jet kit in.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

I meant it looked like you were both signed off, well, I just finished and now it won't even
run, choke from cold start, its fouling the plug black, wasn't doing that at all before, I set them
both to spec, did't really seem to be too far off, what do I do now? I am in bad shape, I sure wouldn't have
thought it would be this bad, I'm going to take it back apart and see what it could be, but
I'm lost, if you can think of anything for me to try, please help.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Youll get it fixed, dont worry.
Check for spark, is the kill switch on? Pull the spark plug, put the wire back on it, ground the plug to the head and spin it over. You should see spark.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

When using the feeler gauge, should it be tight and hard to pull out, or should you just
be able to slide the chosen one in and out easily after adjusting?

Old 01-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Now i see what you mean by off right now...im an old fart, and needed my daughter to show me.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Usually they give a range, say .005 to .009, Then i make sure the thin one easily goes in, with out forceing, and the thicker one doesnt go in. If your using the middle of the range, it should go in the gap, with out alot of force.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, your not an old fart, I'm 36 myself, listen, I meant I did get it to run, it just wouldn't stay
running, bad idle (worse than before), turned the plug black, kept dying, wouldnt even warm
up, so I shut er down. I think I just got them too tight, went to Auto Zone, got a new feeler
gauge, gonna set it in the middle -firm but not too tight, and lets see, thanks for all the help.
I havent given up yet, I have too learn how to do this![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

This may bea little late, but i found an article online on adjusting valves, Not on your motor, but should be very similar.
valve adjust
Check the operation of the choke. Is it fully going off? I think you have an enrichener for a choke. Maybe your manual will show this and how to adjust it. Is the mixture screw, about 1 1/2 turns out ? Sounds like youre too rich, on the idle circuit.
let me know how it goes.

Old 01-11-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey moosecat, sorry I couldn't get back on till now. I was telling you hoe to do valves when you don't know where timing mark is. When one set of valves are completely open then the other set is closed and can be adjusted, hope I helped rather than confused things.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Trailblazer

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks to all for all the advice, and thanks for the article, its great,
I have printed that for my manual. Listen, on Sunday night, I re-did the adjustment, set both valves in
the middle of the three settings, got it back to normal, running great, still not idling perfect, but at least its
not fouling that plug, and yes, by having the carb on and off, I have seen the choke-enrichner, but there is
nothing in the manual about how to adjust it, and I have looked at it, and can't see of any way to adjust it,
cable or otherwise, so , anybody familier with this 03 Arctic Cat 300 have any more advise on how to get
the perfect idle? I do have the idle screw set at the stock setting, 2 1/4 turns out , by the book, I think.
I have thought about going up one size on the slow jet, (idle jet), I think it is a 38, thought maybe i'd
get a 40 from Dennis Kurk, and see it that helps on idle and cold start. It takes a solid 10 min. for it
to be ready to go, man is it cold natured. the guys at the A.C. shop keep telling me the cold natured and
rough idle are from the EPA restrictions, so the only thing I can think of is the slow jet. They say they
don't know. Any way, enough of this, I'm still open for options on how to fix this idle. And thanks to
all for all the help!

Quick Reply: 03 AC 300 Idle problems