Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat vs Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat vs Polaris

2 years?????????????

How did ya find this ol thread?

This weekend team Honda pulled 4 members of Team Polaris out of the woods.To be fair, 2 Hondas were pulled out with broken tie-rods. 1 Polaris also had to be pushed thru the tunnel after his belt got wet, several dirt bikes were towed with fouled plugs.

All quads will last and treat ya good if ya maintain em.
1 polaris lost a brake caliper that should have been addressed a long time ago. 1 Polaris had dirt in the fuel line. A Suzuki blew out a wheel bearing that was noticed several weeks ago. A Kaw was pulled out of the mud since his 4wd wasn't addressed last week. A yamaha had to be towed out after fouling a plug (which had been a persistant problem). And so on.............

The biggest difference I have found in the reliability department is MAINTENANCE!!! Some brands require way more than others.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

hey eiger i wanna go riding with you guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] sounds like you guys need to do some basic maintanance and upkeep though first but anything that hardcore i know mine will be running at the end of the day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

By the way, I talked with my dealer today, and he is 90% sure that AC is not going to use kawis motors anymore, starting with their 2007 line up!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Is ac going to make liquid cooled 400 class atv`s ? is air cooled just as tuff and run anyware a liquid cooled does ?

Old 06-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

hey craw my old 300 i used to have was well air cooled or i should say it had an oil cooler up front. i overheated it one time and that is when one of my buddies was riding behind me and we were going in grass about 6 feet high for about 45 min straight. all that had that poor little 300 working overtime and the temp light came on i just let the other guy that was with lead for a while and she stayed cool as a cucumber. i would not be afraid of owning an air cooled machine again.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking about getting the arctic cat vp al lthe time 4x4 but im worried about gas milage ? turning radius ? being tippy cause the rear end is striaght axle ? but love the price, im going to do some mudding, rideing in the snow, lots of trails, is this the atv for me ?

Old 06-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: craw8101
I was thinking about getting the arctic cat vp al lthe time 4x4 but im worried about gas milage ? turning radius ? being tippy cause the rear end is striaght axle ? but love the price, im going to do some mudding, rideing in the snow, lots of trails, is this the atv for me ?
That is an awesome ATV. There rear suspension is actually a semi-independant and works great. My dad has it on his 2000 Cat 500. Also, for like $50 you can get the Arctic Cat lever that can make it selectable 2x4/4x4. They turn good, have great gas milage (around 100 miles a take when broke in), and are a fun machine.

I had a 2004 400 and loved it. The only thing to look out for is that the engine needs about 300 miles to get broken in. That first 100 you will think it is just a dog, but as you ride it more it get a lot stonger. Good luck and let us know what you do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

What is an Arctic Cat vp?

Theres nothing wrong with air-cooled, It never leaks and theres lots of it everywhere yer likely to ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Thats why they use VW bug engines on rail buggies.

2x4/4x4 selectable makes the steering easier an the quad more fun to ride![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

solid rear axle (SRA) is more stable than independant rear suspension (IRS). Its a lot harder to get a IRS quad to do donuts but the IRS gets better traction in the ruff.

The SRA people think the IRS is dangerous because they aren't used to the roll of the IRS, but once ya get used to it, Its great!

Weez, Yer description looks like ya would fit right in and you would have no problems, but those 589s are a lil heavy when jumping the table-tops. This past weekend we had 10 - 20 people riding in our group and approx 100 riders over the weekend. Our stomping grounds are only about 300 acres and the biggest hill is only bout 8 feet (and ya have to go down into the hole to climb it) but the mud is great and theres a motocross track that blows everybody away after a lap around it. Speed is a good thing here since some of the trails are big and sweeping. Good handling is a must since we run thru trees and on the edge of some drop-offs that drop ya into the river. Good tires are a must since ya run over a lot of stuff. This is bottom ground around the Ohio River and Whitewater River and is prone to flooding so the trails are different almost every time. There are weeds 15' tall already. Its a great place to learn how to ride and to hone yer skills so when ya go to the big places ya can survive.

Besides maintainance there is the rider issue. If ya run into trees, or over debris, or through water and just put it in the garage when ya get home, you'll break down more often or require more work. If ya just watch other idiots do their thing you'll last longer. I ride hard and long!!!! (Honda Rincon), Razor rides slow and avoids dirt (A/C 650) and he has never done a thing to it. I put mine up on my quad rack every couple hundred miles and go over her front to back. I guess maintainance is the real issue.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Just wanted to jump in and say how good it is to see the Artic Cat groups comments on this topic. Doesn't seem to be much bashing on this thread and that's to be complimented. I currently own Polaris, but will be the first to admit that the're not the machine for everyone. Most all major companies build gerat machines. They all have their quirks and problems at times. There are way too many variables to ever pick one "best" machine.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

eiger2
(Razor rides slow and avoids dirt (A/C 650) and he has never done a thing to it) Whats does this mean exactly i could ride the cat hard and long like you honda ?

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat vs Polaris