Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Rate your 650Ac from 1 - 10?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rate your 650Ac from 1 - 10?

I am going to purchase just wanting peace of mind!

Old 01-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Out of the box, a 6/10. Change the tires to anything else, and I'd give it a 9/10.

If I was you, I wouldn't leave the dealership with the OEM tires on. Ditch those ASAP.

Other than that, it's an amazing machine.

Old 01-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep! What Wires said.

Old 01-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd give it a "8" after installing the Goodyear Non-Radial 26" Mudrunners.
Still don't care for the one-brake lever, so that cost this Cat 650 a point.
No 4wheeler is perfect, so forget a "10".

Old 01-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

From what I have seen from the machine, I'd say 7-10.

Love most about it execpt for the Kawi clutch, having to play with springs, and not having as good as a clutch as the Yam's, is what I don't like. Kawi's don't have as good of a clutch as the Yam's. Its not always engaged so they blow belts more. Its nothing to get 10.000 Km's out of a Yam belt, Kawi system seems to get 2500-5000km's and the belts are not cheap.
Other then that the maintenance looks difficult, what I mean is there are wires everywhere, how do you get at the spark plugs if you need to change them.
Other then that it has everything, power, speed, diff lock, ground clearance and ride quality.

Old 01-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stumppuller01
Other then that the maintenance looks difficult, what I mean is there are wires everywhere, how do you get at the spark plugs if you need to change them.
Plugs are easy to get at. Requires removing nothing. The only thing that is a little awkward is to change the oil filter, you need to drop the skid plate. Mind you, I found it a good time to clean out all the junk that builds up in the frame... but it's still awkward.

All the other stuff has been easy (checking oil, air filter, carb jetting). It's a proven Kawi platform, so if you really want to know how the engine/drivetrain is, take a yonder over to the kawi forum....

Old 01-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

10/10 out of the box, no question. I know all the thoughts on tires and such, but I have run right with every other big bore made in serious technical terrain that taxes man and machine on the stock tires while many of them were on larger more aggressive tires. Yes, there are things other machines do better, such as flying down gravel roads (Prairie), but the thing is called an ATV--that means it should go into really nasty places and be able to pull through. This thing does it with aplomb.

I give it an A+ and wouldn't trade it for any other machine. Nothing against other machines, I have tremendous respect for all of them and they all have their advantages. I bought this thing to go over and through nasty terrain, and that is what it does best. It is a bonus that it has huge fuel capacity, a smooth ride, and gobs of power.

I guess it depends on the type of riding you plan to do. I need power, suspension travel, and ground clearance for the riding I like to do.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stumpuller01
How can you rate the big Cat if you don't own 1?

Spark plugs are easier to change on this Cat 650 vs the Prairie 650/700s, I know that for a fact.
On the Cat, just remove the seat, look down between the seat frame & there lies the rear spark plug.
On the Praires it is much more to get to that rear plug, either you remove the rubber air duct for the tranny or take out the battery to get to that rear plug.
The belt will last long & just as long as any other belt including the Yama. Adjust it correctly the 1st time & it will last for a very,very, very long time.
The Prairie is much more on the Sporty side & because of this, almost all owners of these Prairies really push & ride the Prairies hard & with that type of riding, you will wear out a belt quicker over the casual type of just crusing along.
DanW
You are use to the limited 1-brake lever Cat system. I too got use to this 1-brake when I had a 454 & 500 Cat many years ago but after having 2 Prairie 650's with the 2 brake levers, which gives you complete control over the brake action, I still dock the Cat a point. The Cat 650 1 brake lever does work better than my 500 did but still I do not feel that the Cat 1 lever brake control is up to par vs 2 brake levers, one for the front brakes, one for the rear brakes.
Tires- I was disappointed in the Radials, for my type of riding. Also, some of this could be the ground you ride on vs the type of ground I ride on. Out here in NM it is hard, rocky & rough most of the time & the Radials would roll up on the rim, very scary when moving down a hard-pack road at speed & trying to get around a sharp corner. The Mudrunners corrected this problem & give excellent traction in any type of terrain & corner great!.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: 14mercs
I am going to purchase just wanting peace of mind!
I rate it at 9.

The chock on the handlebars does not seem to be built very well. I wonder if the eletronic one on the 500,s is a better setup? I am concerned about flats with the soft 2Ply Radial tires.

04 AC 650 MRP
2500 Warn Winch

Old 02-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

I rate mine an 8, I think it will be a 9 with itp589's or mudlites. Hope to find out soon!

Quick Reply: Rate your 650Ac from 1 - 10?