Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Glowing Cat

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know how long this has been going on but since its starting to get cold i was riding and stoped to warm my hands up on the engine when i noticed the exhaust pipe was glowing red...I got worried so i turned it off and let it quit glowing. I called my dealership and he said it was cuz i was running it hard that day. Well lastnight i rode for 10 minutes in low speeds. but it still glowed...i have a 500 4x4....can someone check theres and see or does anyone know what is goin on?

Old 12-16-1999, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I friend of mines WOLVERINE did the same thing except that it was the muffler, and the machine was cutting out alot. Turns out his muffler was partially plugged. He figured that out when after riding awhile he looked down and seen all of the plastic above it MELTED. So now right next to the seat is a strip above the muffler about 2" wide that you can see through! MY thought.....wow that sucks... You might check to make sure you got good flow leaving your muffler!

Brad

Old 12-17-1999, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

It might be your jetting. Check your spark plug and see what color it is.

Old 01-07-2000, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

I noticed afew weeks ago that mine does the same thing, I just didn't notice it untill I took a good look at it while it was running at night.

Old 01-18-2000, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 96 454 that does this and my dad has a 2000 500 that does it. The only thing we found that helps is richen the needle jet(drop the clip to the bottem position) you will need to move the white plastic washer to do this. Also keep the fuel tank as full as possible. What happens is as the bike heats up it heats the fuel which expands leaning the fuel mixture.I put a thermometer on the fuel line were it enters the fuel bowl(not the primer) and after 1 hour in 95 degree weather the bike quit. The fuel was boiling in the fuel lines(I have clear lines) and the thermo. read 175 degrees F.I have had alot of trouble with this. NO ONE at the dealerships seem to know anything about it,they say they have never heard of this problem. I was wondering how my family ended up with the only two bike that do this. I also checked the Suzuki for this problem. Doesn't exist. The Suzuki has an electric fuel pump that keeps this from happening. Can't convert it. It's part on the fuel petcock. GOOD LUCK
Randy

Old 01-21-2000, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

Not to worry,, Mine does the same thing. I have a 99 500 that I bought last April and to date have 2600 miles on it with no truble at all, runs great. I first notice the red hot pipe after about 1900 miles or so. I use to ride Harleys years ago and on "big bore" motors this happens unless the pipe is some high temp aloy like "good" chorme.
scotto

Old 01-21-2000, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

scotto,

How often do you change your oil? Axle oil?
Ever had any problems?

Old 01-21-2000, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

Boner,
I change oil and filter every 200-300 miles and wash out the air filter & fome wrap with warm soapy water, rinse & dry of cource. The so called manual, more like a C.O.A. manual to save us from our selves, say to change the differential oil every 4 years!!?!. I change mine every 300 to 500 miles both front & rear or sooner if the cat and I been doing some swimming its a cheep & EZ job. I did have a neddle valve in the carb fail. Freek thing abought a 1/4 of the valve thats in a sleve and abought the size of a large sewing neddle snaped off. But that's Mikuni's failer not Arctic Cat. Still got me home tho.. scotto
p.s. (c.o.a.) cover our ***

Old 01-23-2000, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Gentleman do not worry about this it is normal. This is common on all ATV's with stainless steel exhaust systems. My Honda 450ES does this also because it has a stainless steel exhaust system. Stainless steel holds more heat making it more efficent in removing heat from the engine at a faster velosity. Also note Suzuki had a TSB for the 500 exhaust system concerning this issue. They said it was normal for the pipe to glow because of the stainless steel head pipe.

------------------

Old 01-23-2000, 04:27 PM
Range Rover

We had a King Quad that had the idle adjustment screw fall out and then it idled weird and the pipe glowed red about 4 inches away from the engine. If your cat is running correctly except for glowing it should be ok, that engine uses a ceramic coated piston to handle more heat than normal aluminum. It also has a jet of oil to help cool the wrist pin and the bottom of the piston. It could be set up to glow in the dark. but if it is bright red to orange than you have a problem.

Quick Reply: Glowing Cat