Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Questions from new 650 owner.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from new 650 owner.

That's what I've found with mine to start too. Choke isn't it's best friend.

As for the oil, I've got more than 2.5 quarts in it, and when the dipstick is in, it is just to the full line. I don't know if they have a different dipstick than the prairies, but something doesn't seem right.

I'm not blowing oil anywhere, so I'm happy.... Who knows though.

I'd like to know what you pull out of yours.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother in-law bought my P650, I'll try to get over at his house & see if the dip sticks are the same.
My oil looks dirty, I'll get it changed on Monday.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a good plan.

I've had very bad experience trusting the manual, when the dipstick contradicted it. I do have a lawn mower that's a great yard ordament though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

To all, changing oil and filter today. I'll post my findings ( to the ounce ) in AM. Back to the game.

Old 02-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

" Survey Says " ..... 2 qts. 10 oz. is what it took to bring the level to just a touch under the H or full mark. ( Same level as from factory ) I warmed it up until the fan kicked on before draining. Pulled the plug, removed the filter and let it drain for an hour or so. 1.85 qts ( or 1 qt 27 oz ) brought the level exactly to the " L " mark on the stick. I used the same oil filter tool I use on my 1500 and it makes getting it loose a piece of cake. Got it at Car Quest and I'll post a photo of it as soon as I learn how to attach one on this forum.

Jerico, send me an email at jeffyo@comcast.net re 1500 items.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand CORRECTED.

MY oil change netted me 2.4 qts including the oil filter.
I refilled 1st to 1.85qts & had the same reading as Slaghammer, which read right on the L line. Put the additional amount of oil to reach the 2.4 qts & the dip stick reads exactly where it was before the oil change, below the H line but still in the allowable range ( upper shaded area of the dip stick).
The Dip sticks are the same for the Cat vs the Prairie.
The oil filter is harder to get at on the Cat vs the Prairie but no big deal. I now have the superior Scotts performance oil filter in place.
Get some more miles on & the Mobil 1 20w50 VTwin oil will be going in for my Summer (warmer riding Months). Wal-mart had it for $5.99 qt, picked up 3 qts just in case Jerico1 & Wires weren't pulling my leg on this Oil Capacity on the Cat 650. Appreciate the heads-up on this info on the oil.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

No problem. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm just glad I picked up a gallon instead of a couple of quarts!

Considering how far out they are on the recommended tire pressure, it doesn't surprise me. Yet, you'd expect someone doing the literature to at least validate the info....

Old 02-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

We bought a 650 LE in October. We put 200 miles on it and just last week the belt broke. It's in the shop being repaired. You can switch from 4wd to 2wd and vice versa while moving, we do it all the time when switching from trails to road. Our dealer informed us that this is the intention of the switch being conveniently located on handlebars.

We keep our machine in an insulated garage as it doesn't like the -20 degree weather we've been having here in Vermont. However once it is running, let it run for several minutes before shifting it into gear. We found that this helps.

Arctic Cat covered the burnt belt, however I find it incredibly frustrating that this happened at all with such a new machine. I mentioned my concerns to the dealer and said they would keep on top of the issue and have informed Arctic Cat of the replacement.

Has anyone else had this trouble?

Old 02-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

Did the belt break or was it burnt or both? Also, did your dealer check or adjust the belt before you took delivery ?

Old 02-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I tightened mine before it happened. It was slipping the belt with under 60 miles on it.

You're not alone. A LOT of Prairie/AC650 owners received the machine with a loose belt.

Quick Reply: Questions from new 650 owner.