Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Changing a bulb

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing a bulb

I just got an '01 400 2x4 and noticed when I turned my high beams on that the left one does not work. How easy is it to change and is it a matter of getting the bulb from an auto parts store? It didn't come with a manual so any help would be greatly appreciated. Probably not the end of the world if I don't get it fixed, but the one time I want to use it, is the one time it's not fixed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks in advanced.
Marla

Old 02-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Changing a bulb

According to my 2001 shop manual; remove screw on underside of headlight housing. Remove lens cover and lense. Push in and rotate counterclockwise and remove bulb. No number for buld is given but it is a 12 volt 35 watt bulb. I would imagine the number is on it. I normally run with out lights on unless on a road or trail with oncoming traffic or it's dark out. Why wear them out for no reason.

Bear

Old 02-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Changing a bulb

It's probably a halogen bulb, possibly dual element. If it IS a halogen bulb, be sure you don't handle it with bare hands, or if you do, clean it with alcohol before turning it on. The residual oils from your fingers burn onto the outside of the glass, and shorten the bulb life considerably.

Like the Bear, I run without lights most of the time, it saves the bulbs, and also allows the battery to keep a full charge for starting and running other Very Nice Things like heated handgrips and thumbwarmers..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default Changing a bulb

Bear and Chilly

Thanks for the tips. I have ridden with them off as well, BUT just want it in good working order for those just in case moments[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks for your help I am impressed with all the help I get on this. Hey Bear where is Union? We used to live in Portland and moved to Las Vegas 7 months ago. It's been raining here and I surely don't miss the rain[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Take care
Marla

Old 02-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Range Rover
Default Changing a bulb

Marla

Check out this message. I did a search for headlight on the forum and found this:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...ord1=headlight

REV

Old 02-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default Changing a bulb

Rev-
Can I get those just at an auto parts store? Brighter would be better!!!
marla

Old 02-22-2004, 11:57 PM
Range Rover
Default Changing a bulb

No idea, you'd have to remove it, take it to the auto parts store, match up the prongs, and see what they have. Just be careful not to get much bigger as you could possibly melt the housing or the wiring harness. If AC allows 55/35, then any halogen auto parts replacement should work. Probably be cheaper at a NAPA or Advance Auto parts store too!! GO to the dealer as a last resort, or go there to check it out and say you'll think about it and get back to them. Then to the auto parts store.

Also as the other poster pointed out don't handle with bare hands. I usually use a soft paper towel to insert the bulb.

Just may do that mod myself ...

REV

Old 02-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Changing a bulb

Marla;
Union is ten miles north of Shelton or about 30 north of Olympia at the foot of Hood Canal. Its 5 miles up Hwy 106 east of the Hwy 101 junction. Hood Canal is the western most body of water of Puget Sound. BTW I was born in Portlnd and lived there until 1963. I also lived in Vegas 1972 to 1973, stationed at Nellis.

Bear

Old 02-23-2004, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer
Default Changing a bulb

Bear-
We lived in Gladstone, know where that is? South of Portland, downtown that is. I am most sure that Vegas has changed since you lived here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I also lived north of Spokane when I was a teenager in Colville. Beautiful up there, but at that age thought I was moving off the face of the earth!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I have friends that live in the Seattle area, Renton, Everett, and Des Moines they are actually all coming down this next weekend. I will let you know about the light bulb!Marla

Old 02-23-2004, 03:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Changing a bulb

Marla;

Yes, I know where Gladstone is, I grew up at the eastern base of Mount Tabor on 80th and Market in SE Portland and went to John Marshall High School the first year it opened. Vegas is so different I could hardly find the place I lived when stationed there when I visited and old racing buddy at Havasu. Went to Shoreline in the north end of Seattle for 1963-1965, know the whole Seattle area well. Have friends all over the Seattle metro area. As to being off the face of the earth, my youngest(19) always complained we lived nowhere here in Union and would move as soon as she could. Well she,s been commuting to Olympia for college since before she got out of high school and we can't get her to move out even with cash help promised. She has a job too and still won't leave, seems she doesn't really like having all those people around. The wife and I will probaly have to retire and move to get her out of the house. BTW I bought a shop manual and it's worth every dime I spent on it.

Bear

Quick Reply: Changing a bulb