Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What is the best oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best oil filter?

Hello all, I have a ? what is the best oil filter for my 04 500 auto. I am coming up on its first oil change. What one filters out the most Parts per millon? Or should I just stick with the Arctic Cat replacement (suzuki). If I ever have to take it in under warrenty they cannot void my warrenty because it is not a original replacement. Thank all Happy wheeling.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2004, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

I've always tried to use the factory Suzuki / Kawisaki filters (just in case of the unthinkable)
I needed one on a Suturday night once, ran down to the local auto zoo, found a Fram filter for it
had no problems with it & only a few dollars cheaper.
so whatever floats your boat!!!

Old 03-21-2004, 03:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

my dealer said to use the factory filter and the ac 10w 40 oil until the warrenty is up. because you never know what they mite say if the factory stuff isn't on it.

Old 03-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know for a fact that when filters are test of their ability to filter thing out of the oil that the Fram filters are used as the standard. I also know that there are very few filters that work better too. Consumers Union does some major testing and only about three filters a year out do the Fram and cost about 3 or 4 times as much. AC(GM's AC like in spark plugs) had a truck set up back in the seventys to go around to dealers that used light machine oil(I think it was "3 in 1") with a red dye in it that was like 2 or 3 microns in size. The set up had a pump and clear tanks and your could switch the flow from one filter to another. They never used Fram filters though to compare. After a couple of years of this the guy stayed in town one night and went drinking with him. The next morning we tried a fram filter as a comparison, he had be told not to. It did a better job than any filters they had him using. Next time He showed up no filter test bed. Reason is he asked why they never used Frams and the guys above him didn't know. They repeated the test and up the line it went. Some biggy got pissed because the thing was a lie and pulled the whole program. So I know Fram makes a filter that will match or out do anyone filters priced in the normal range and thats all I've ever used if Fram made a filter for it.

Old 03-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know if the ATV filters are the same or not, but I know that Fram oil filter for cars/trucks are horrible. Unlike other filters, the return valves don't do a good job and if you are using a Fram filter your engine basically fires up each morning with no oil until the pump kicks in and starts circulating it again. Every mechanic that I know and trust around here won't touch a Fram filter. Now, again, I don't have any experience with their ATV filters...maybe those are different.

Old 03-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, for the replys I am just going to stick with the OEM filter till the warrenty is done. Then I may try a K&N if they make one for it. I use a K&N filter on my truck because it has the back flow valve in the filter. Well and also because it has that spot welded nut on there that makes it easy to get off. In them hard to reach places. Thanks all Happy Wheeling!

Old 03-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

The main reason Fram filters have a bad reputation among those who know is that they have cardboard endcaps glued on. They reportedly can leak and allow unfiltered oil to go right past the filter.

Old 03-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: DanW
The main reason Fram filters have a bad reputation among those who know is that they have cardboard endcaps glued on. They reportedly can leak and allow unfiltered oil to go right past the filter.

That is so funny that you say that!! Not what you are saying, but that I would not have expected it to turn up on an ATV board! I have a Ford Powerstroke so I read a popular diesel board. The same topic comes up there time to time when a new owner askes for filter advice. There was an interesting thread on the topic not to long ago with some good info on why, how, how long, and testing as to Fram's glued endcap. Right now the search function is down, let me find it and I will post it back.

On a personal note I have used Fram on and off for years with no problems on my cars and trucks. I will admit I use a Motorcraft on the PS truck but the cost of the "factory" filter is almost the same when bought at Wal Mart so I just say what the hay. I would have no problems using a Fram is the MC was not in stock. Then again, that is jsut me!!

Brent

Old 03-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

That's the problem with Fram. You don't know that you had no problems unless you took the thing apart and examined the condition of the endcaps. That's why I won't use them. I just don't have confidence in that design.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

Still trying to find that Fram post, the search has been taken off line due to a software bug. I think it makes for interesting reading.

Brent

Quick Reply: What is the best oil filter?