Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic cat Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic cat Oil

Hello all, what type of oil do you all use in your 500. I mean the auto trans is a wet clutch setup can I go to the auto parts store and get a good oil or do i have to use the Cat oil. Is this a synthetic oil from the factory I wouldnt think so because the parts have to breakin thanks

Old 03-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Arctic cat Oil

my dealer told me to use the cat oil (10w 40) until the warrenty is up but I'll use it even after that but as long as its for four strokes it should be ok.

Old 03-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Arctic cat Oil

You can run any brand 10w40 you want because this grade of oil does not have friction modifiers. Though you should stick with the cat oil til your warranty is up, just one less thing for them to gripe about if you need warranty work. After your broke in I would recommend switching to the AC synthetic or even better some like Amsoil sythetic. These oils run cooler and pretect the parts better than standard oils

Old 03-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Arctic cat Oil

It has been suggested by some to go with the 0w-40 synthetic after breakin from a dealer or there are other similar brands out there made just for 4-strokes. The 0w-40 should be a good cold weather starting oil.Do not use an "energy conserving oil" in a wet cluth machine.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default Arctic cat Oil

i use valvoline 10w40 motorcyle oil. it's rated for wet clutches. it's a buck cheaper per quart and you can get it at meijers instead of going to the dealer. why pay extra for the sticker on the bottle. who's oil does arctic cat put there sticker on anyway? it's the same with the oil filters. dealers don't make them, they just charge you extra to put their sticker on them. i'm not saying these products are bad but why pay extra for a sticker. cash is better in your pocket than theirs, right.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Arctic cat Oil

I use the AC oil change kit. Only need to change the oil twice a year, so using cheaper oil doesn't save that much. I figure I spend maybe $20 more a year on the AC oil, and sleep easier knowing I'm not accelerating wear on that expensive machine.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default Arctic cat Oil

If your machine is still under warrenty, then use Cat's products. Would the $5 to $10 dollars saved on using another brand be worth a denied warrenty claim?

Now if its out of warrenty, then its up to how brave you are. If you feel confident and want to save the money, go for it. Conservative and unsure, spend the extra dollars and not worry if its ok.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default Arctic cat Oil

does anyone actually know who makes arctic cat oil? do you even know what you're buying? i think paying extra for a sticker on something doesn't make sense. arctic cat don't make oil, honda don't make oil, suzuki don't make oil filters etc.. catch my drift. you're only paying extra for the name on the sticker. i had a suzuki oil filter then i bought a fram oil filter, same thing except the suzuki one was about 8 bucks more. they can't void your warranty for using another brand of oil. it's the same with cars. i highly doubt that ac oil is the absolute best oil for the machine. i use valvoline 10w40 now then i'll switch to amsoil after some more mileage. i use amsoil now in my truck, so the price for oil is not the issue. there's a lot of good oils out there. IT'S ALL PREFERENCE.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Arctic cat Oil

I think the point that others have tried to make is that you need to use an oil that is proper and approved for your machine. Manufacturer is not important but a warranty claim could be denied if you were using the wrong type of oil. Since I have no idea who makes Arctic Cat oil and therefore cannot compare apples to apples, I will stick with the AC oil on the basis that I know AC has approved it for my machine. I can't see that you would stand to gain anything in the way of performance or engine longevity by using some other brand since I'm sure that AC has done their homework to ensure that the oil they market will not cause them lost profits in engine warranty repairs. If saving a buck or two on oil is your highest priority, maybe just pass on your next "Biggy Size" fast food order to make up the difference. IMHO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]