Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Oil & Filter question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil & Filter question....

We have a 2002 AC 500i-auto and only do slow speed trail riding with it. I priced the AC Oil Filter at my local AC dealer a few days ago and he told me their regular oil filter is $12.00 and their Chrome version is $16.00. An online company sells AC oil filters for $8.95 and my local Honda dealer sells AC filter for $8.95 as well. From your experience, is there different brands of AC oil filters, or is my local AC dealer trying to make a nice profit off the same brand?

I used to think my local dealer was "the best". They performed its first off-warranty end/end inspection and major spring re-lubes last spring. No problems with the work they did to it. Then, I discovered they used the $16.00 chrome air filter when I told them we only do "deep mud trail riding". I know $4.00 more profit isn't a big deal but I'm wondering where else they are "skinning a little bit more"?

Also, I was thinking of using 10W-40 or 0w-40 engine oil instead of AC's "recommended" engine oil. Is this a good idea to save a few more dollars?

Note: I'm not trying to be cheap. Just trying to determine what is good value for this spring's re-lube ---- which I plan to do myself in the next few weeks.

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your dealer is charging the msrp for the ac filter. I saw the price of the ac filter before I did the first oil change and ran to the nearest napa store to buy a NAPA #1359 for 6.99 The only problem I have with the filter is that it is not black, its white. As for the oil, the AC synthetic 0w40 is a good value for a syn oil. Especially when you compare it to the price of the Amsoil 0w40 that I run in my machine which costs 6.29 a quart, but Im not sure if the ac stuff is as high of quality oil. Im sure its good stuff, but i want my baby to last for many many years

Old 04-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your prompt feedback.

Thanks for the "NAPA #1359 for 6.99" info on the oil filter. Being covered in mud, who really cares about the colour of its oil filter. I was wondering about "Amsoil 0w40" as well. Our 2002 only has 400 miles on it. Last oil change was around 115 miles. Since I change engine oil every spring (as per its manual) and only do 300 miles on it per year, I suspect I'll be pretty safe in using AC's or a "general brand" of synthetic 0w40. The other day, I checked its oil colour and it's the same as last spring. I guess we baby our AC-500i by putting very little miles on it.... For less then $1.00 / month more, I'll purchase the "Amsoil 0w40" as well. Just wanted to know what's being over priced and what is really is "good oil" for the price.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer

Both filter and oil are important. Remember your oil is used for both engine and transmission. If you use just a motor oil you are not getting the gear additives and antifoaming agents. Sraight motor oil will breakdown much faster. If you end up with a motor problem the dealer will be able to tell if you were using the proper TYPE of oil. Also do NOT use a full synth. oil because both autos and man Arctic Cats use an internal wet cluth. Straight synth oil can somtimes cause your cluth to slip. The Arctic Cat extreme oil is a synth blend. Good Luck

Old 04-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Range Rover

Check this out, it was posted by a fellow board user a few weeks ago:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

It is geared around 2 stroke bikes but covers the MA and MB Oil specs and discusses bikes that share oil between the trans and engine as well as its effects on the clutch. It also gets into differences between small engine and car/truck oils. After reading it I went hunting for a cycle oil having a better idea of what I felt I needed. I ended up (and I am sure this will get some opinion flowing) getting Valvoline 10w40 cycle oil from a local AutoZone. It is not Syntehetic (I am a big believer in Syn oil by the way), meets JASO MA, and is easily found in my area. I change oil in my toys often enough to feel good about being non-synth oil. The availibility factor is also important to me. I don't like using things I can not get more of in a hurry, I have burned myself like that in the past.

Take care,

Brent

Old 04-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: peteyz24
your dealer is charging the msrp for the ac filter. I saw the price of the ac filter before I did the first oil change and ran to the nearest napa store to buy a NAPA #1359
How did you figure out this PN will work? I just went to Napa Online and it turns up as a NAPA United Clutch Slave Cylinder Kit so I am guessing the site only lists hard parts and not filters, or all filters such as cycle engines.

Any way I am not sure my filter is the same (01 400) so I wanted to cross reference mine to see if Napa had one.

Thanks,

Brent

Old 04-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

went to my napa store and asked for a filter for a 500 ac, they didnt have a listing so then I said ok give me one for a vinson(same motor same filter) and boom i was good to go. But there also was a list of cross referenced filters that will work on the 400 and 500

Here is the list:

NAPA Gold, Oil Filter, #1359.
STP SMO-18
Bike Master (Black) 314-0025
Cycle Power 314-1919
FRAM 314-6018 (PH6018-)
Purolator ML6818
HiFlo Filtro HF-138
NAOA Gold 1359
ProPart Black 01-0029
Emgo Black 10-55660
Emgo Chrome 10-55670
VESRAH Sf-3007
JC Whitney Black - 06AD3165B
JC Whitney Chrome -06AD3166P
WIX 51359

Old 04-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah and as far as oil. THe Amsoil 0w40 is wet clutch safe. They designed it just for 4 stroke quads. Any motorcylce oil will be wet clutch safe, but I would only recommed a good quality syn oil.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: peteyz24
went to my napa store and asked for a filter for a 500 ac, they didnt have a listing so then I said ok give me one for a vinson(same motor same filter) and boom i was good to go. But there also was a list of cross referenced filters that will work on the 400 and 500
Thanks for the info and taking the time to type in the list. That, however, brings up another question!!! I see yours is a latter model 500. I have a 01 400. I know it is a Suzuki engine, but I was also under the impression that in like 02 they changed. Mine is a 371 (I think, my memory is about as long as a short bit of string). I thought in 02 it was like a 376. Not sure how much else changed. So the real question, what is the equiv quad, motor wise, to my particular year/motor? That way I can run by Napa and do the same, should I need to.

Thanks,

Brent

Old 04-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

use the fram its black. I know a guy that works at the plant in minnesota that bottles ac synthetic and he says it is not a full synthetic like the amsoil. Thats why the ac oil is cheaper. I can buy the ac oil from him for 6.00 per gallon. thats pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Oil & Filter question....