Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Are Mud Lites really good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Mud Lites really good?

This past weekend my buddy and I went out and it was really really muddy. He has 589 MTs. I have the 489s. His tires really did make a difference, because all other things are equal between our quads and he could go places that I got stuck a lot. So I am going to get some different tires.

Question is...how do you guys like the ITP Mud Lite tires? They are quite a bit cheaper than the 589s, and they look to be siped already. How would you guys say they stack up to the competition in the really deep mud? Are they as good as the 589s? I really want the GBC Gators...but my quad has different size tires front/back so it limits me on my choices.

Old 04-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

StormDawg, I don't know about the 04 300, but I have a 99 model and it takes 25's on the rear and 24's on the front. I was going to try some mudlites mbut they didn't have them in a 24 and a 12 inch rim. I don't ride a lot of mud as it is so hard on bearings, joints, etc. I got a set of Titan 489 XT's from Nebraska tire for $25 each. They are blems, but so far I have been very satisfied with them. They are not as agressive as the 589's, but they don't rob near the power either, but they are much more agressive than the 489 AT's. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 04-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have about 100miles on my mudlites and really like them. I think for mud only the 589 might be better, but for hard trails I think the mudlites are better. I would go with the lites because of the lighter weight for your 300 to spin them easier. I got mine from http://www.hondapartsworld.com/index...ROD&ProdID=344[L=here] they are in Kentucky and had the cheapest prices, ask for Stan, he priced them to me for a little less than what there website says. The lites will definatly make a difference, they really pull forward in the goo and they clean well. I drove a 500i last year with 26" 589's, I think the clean better because they don't have the siped lugs, but it's been a year since I tried them. Both steered easier than the stock dunflops on hardpac which kind of supprised me. Are you going up a size?

Old 04-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, I have 24s on the front/25s on the rear from the factory. I want to go up to 25s up front/ 26s in the rear. Problem is...there seems to be an "imaginary line" between 25s and 26s in the ATV tire industry. Once you cross over to 26" tires...they usually are in a more aggressive form. So I am having a hard time finding tires that will match up good with the combo. I want front/back. Does that make any sense?

I really like the Mud Lite...it's cheap...and it's 6 ply (one of my stock tires already is going down slowly with less than 200 miles on it). So if you guys think they do really great in the gooey mud...that'll be my choice. Otherwise I may have to bite the bullet and go for the 589s.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

ive bin riding my buddys 600 grizzly and he has mud lites on it.
and im so impressed with them im ordering a set of them for my new quad.
i love my gators but these mud lites are somthing else.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Mudblaster you must be really impressed to switch, you really talked up the gators. How are they holding up riding through the logged timber trails in your pics? So what's the new quad going to be?

Old 04-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

i love my gators and i still think thay are better in the snow then the lites but the gators are very hard and thay the lugs are not as deep.
but the mud lites seem to work better in the dirt and soft stuff.
plus the lites are a hundred bucks cheaper then the gators.
oh ya my new quad is going to be a honda rubicon.
im ordering it today its going to have 27x12x12s mud lites out back and 27x12x10s up front.
winch hand gaurds and a lift kit.
i love my cat but it dont hold up to the trails i ride on.
and im tired of having my quad in the shop all the time getting fixed.
so im trying the honda, and the only reason im going honda is no belts to maintain.
plus hondas have a great resale valu and a great 4x4 system.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 589s and mudlites. the mudlite are the best. They are great on the trail, so great you think you are riding on holeshots or something. I love those tires. My 589's have great bite but they are rough to ride on. the mudlites do a great job of hooking up in the mud. They are light and good for both trail riding and the mud hole.

Old 04-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

The thing you have to worry about is the difference in tread depth!
26" Mud Lites have a 1/2" deeper tread than the 25" Mud Lites.
This difference will bind up your transmission. I was told this by my dealer when I was trying to go with bigger tires.
I have a King Quad that has 24x8x11 up front and 25x10x12 in the back. (the 11" rim is harder to get tires for too)

Old 04-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Trailblazer

That is exactly what I'm worried about. I wish this ATV had the same size all around...but that would make too much sense to their engineers so they didn't do that I guess. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Anyway, I looked at the Gators and the 26s are a more agressive tread than the 25s, but still the overall diameter is listed as exactly one inch difference. So at least with the Gators, it appears that even though the larger tires have more aggressive tread, the overall diameters are kept correct. I wonder if the Mud Lites are this way too.

Quick Reply: Are Mud Lites really good?