Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Suspension tunning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension tunning?

I have a 03 AC 400i IRS and can't seem to find a happy setting on the shock tuning. I live in Maine so there is a variety of terrain to contend with. What I have found is that by setting the front springs to the 4th position (second from stiffest) and the rear on the softest position seems to work best so far, but still not ideal for all-around.

Here are my concerns. Traversing across a hill can be a little scary because the machine being top heavy wants to roll, also while in rocks the suspension will actually lift one of the front tires right off the ground. This could be cured by using a softer front setting but then if that is done while going downhill, especially if there is a turn at the bottom the front will tuck and the back wants to climb over which it has on one occasion and I rolled the darn thing right over on me. (not fun). I ride with people that have a variety of machines and I find that on flat fire roads I am almost constantly steering and have to slow down more than the others in the turns as they have a lower center of gravity. I have adjusted my toe-in to about 1/8 inch.

I am seriously considering lowering the whole machine about an inch to have a lower center of gravity. And maybe putting taller tires to gain back some clearance. I have found that machines even suffering from 2 inches of clearance from what I have seem to be able to go just about every place that I can. I would say that I get stuck no less or more than they do. Once in a while I will get through where they can't but if I get stuck they will definately get stuck. The biggest difference is in rocky terrain. I don't bottom as much....

Anyway I would like some feedback on the handling, and any tips to make the AC handle better while doing some fast riding and also is there some trick to getting the front to work better without fear of it tucking under and flipping.