Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

K&N....why chance destroying your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N....why chance destroying your engine?

I run K&N's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] through mud, sand, dust and creek crossings[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] never had a problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] If you take care of them per the manufactor's recommendations, you should be alright.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RescueDiver, I've had the same experience but I was trying not to tick anyone off or appear biased in my post so I left it out. Then again, I usually tick lots of people off so I guess I'll post it anyway.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I run a Uni filter on my utility atv and a K&N with outerwear and no airbox on my sport quad. The sport quad (and I) have been drenched from head to toe and I've never had a problem.

I'm too cheap to buy a whole bunch of filters for each bike, so I just get one that works for the majority of the conditions and stick with it for each bike.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone now where to get one for the cat 650?

Old 04-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

k & n for high flow, high maintenance

uni for high flow, low maintenance

Old 04-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a K&N in my car. The throttle body stays very clean telling me the filter is doing its job. Every once in a while I do have to clean the oil deposits on the "hot wire" in the mass air flow sensor.

Our Rubicon carburetor throttle bore stays impressively clean, even when the factory filter is first cleaned. I wound not install any other filter on our ATV because the factory one does such an impressive job.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting info on K&N.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fil...tml#OilFilters

Read the "air filter" story.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

air filter? i dont even run one of those[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] well i dont on my 650cat but i run K&Ns on my quads with the prefilter and never had any problems.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

As an aside here, when I was shopping for a chip re-programmer for my Powerstroke diesel, one guy I talked to (a "diesel expert" here in Reno) said never, never put a K&N air filter on the engine. He recommended the stock air filter, for all the reasons cited in Plainsman's link. So, I've left the stock air filter on in our pickup, and have done the same on our Cats. I'm not saying they're better, but I'm feeling pretty safe with them. And I'm not suffering any performance ills that I can tell.

And, like someone else mentioned, this argument is one of those that could go on for pages and pages. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2005, 10:25 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I have not run a K&N on any of my toys, I prefer twin air or uni pods. Mainly because i like to clean them a lot for piece of mind. I do have a K&N FIPK on my '88 f-150 and have looked at my throttle body a few times and found it to be clean. I have had it on for about 70K and have cleaned it once. The performance and milage gains were about a 15% improvement over stock and it sounds sweet at 55 mph at 4100 rpm in 2nd gear.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

K & N filters are just fine. I have yet to encounter a single issue in my truck, sports car, motorcycle or ATV. The key is like ALL engine parts regular maintainance ;-). I enjoy some noticable gains in several of the engines I use these filters on and WILL continue to use this brand in any future machines I buy. I also like the fact that they are a "lifetime" filter and besides regular cleanings ( key to good performance) I will not need to replace. I pay about 2 1/2 to 4 times the price of 1 stock replacement filter up front and then nothing to worry about. Most of my items need new filters at 15k or so miles and that is far to costly for my budget. I think the worry is over nothing...just maintain your engines and your solid.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: K&N....why chance destroying your engine?