Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Winch not holding

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch not holding

I have the Warn winch that came with the 3 year warr. package. I noticed yesterday that when the winch has a load pulling against it it will not hold, it will slowly release line. I was using the Swisher bucket to move some bank sand and the winch is used to raise and lower the bucket. When I would fill & raise the bucket up the winch wouldn't hold it in place so I had to keep on raising the bucket up. Is this normal maybe a safety feature to keep from over loading the winch? The some of the loads I was picking up were pretty full and it seemed the winch was having a hard time lifting them but, it did lift them. Maybe a problem with the winch? Any ideas?

Old 05-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Frozen;
Unless your winch has a brake, they will do just that with a heavy load. You need to look up the spec's on your winch to find out if it, does indeed, have a brake built in. Mine does not and when using it you need to keep that in mind. I always run a rope to whatever I'm pulling, so that it can be tied off if you have to stop during the pull. Have to be very careful when pulling a quad up a steep creek bank or out of a ravine, they want to roll back down. BTW, how did you come up with you handle, "FrozenFeline"?

Old 05-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Bear

I was afraid of that. It's a pain in the butt to have to worry about steering a full load around and making sure it's high enough to boot. I will check the specs. The handle.... It was the first one that came to mind. The funny thing I have never even been in snow deeper than 3 or 4 inches being is I have lived in the Houston area all my life.

FF

Old 06-01-2004, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

FrozenFeline,

Just wondering how your swisher bucket was working.......I was looking at one the other day, thought it might atcually be worth the cost. Let me know when you get a chance....thanks.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Trailblazer

VRZ

So far so good. The more I use it the better I'm getting at it. I have only used it so far on a couple of left over loads of sand & bank sand. The bucket is just the right size. When heaping full it's kinda tough to steer adding more air to the front tires would help. The teeth work pretty good as long as there aren't any roots to get in the way. When dumping, as long as the bucket is able to travel it's full arc, the bucket will empty completly if not a shovel or rake will be needed to get the rest of the material out.
Would I recommend it? The jury's still out.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

I was using my box scraper today and began to have the same problem as you are with your winch.....so I went to town and bought a ****** block. By doubling the cable it took care of my problem of the scraper slowly lowering.

I'm sure your bucket-full of dirt will weigh more, but I'm guessing by doing this it will help solve your problem (or at least cut it in half)

And if you do get a ****** block spend the extra cash and get a good one.......a Warn will do just fine, mine was about $35 and will handle much more then my winch will ever pull.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

Warn sells the mechanical break kit for about $70.00 and unless you bought a warn CE series it does not have a brake.

Trending Topics

Old 06-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer

VRZ

That's good to know. I had thought about trying that but didn't want to spend the $$ on it if it didn't work. I was thinking about buying one I saw at Tractor Supply for about $15 but didn't think it would hold up. Thanks

Old 06-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

Thunderbolt

I'm curious when you say mechanical is it something that can be set and each time you use it, it will hold ? or, each time you need it to hold it has to be set manually. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Frozen Feline, I am not sure as I have not purchased my winch yet and have only been researching. Try to look up warn winches and go to the warn web page. It is there where I got my info. If it doesn't say on there you could call their tech support and they will answer your question. I will check it out also and let you know what I find out.

Quick Reply: Winch not holding