Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Winch not holding

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch not holding

Frozen Feline, I just spoke with Warn Industries and they said it is a spring break and it automatically holds when you stop the winch unless you go and turn the freewheel ****. They said if you already have the winch it is fairly simple to install by seperating the case. For those of us that don't already have a winch they said to buy the CE version, However when I priced it out online I found it to be much cheaper to by the winch and break seperate and I couldn't find a local dealer that even carried the CE. (EDIT) I did some more research on pricing and found the CE winch to only be $10-20 more than the CI and the brake on average was $79.99. My local dealer will order me the CE winch for $20 more than the CI, But the trouble is that the dealer is already $30 dollars higher than northern on the ci winch so it is actually $50 more.

Old 06-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

Thunderbolt

Thanks for the info. I dropped an email to a local dealer to see if they could order the brake and what it will cost. I was looking at the parts break down and it looked like something that could be done with the winch still in the ATV. That may be a deal if the price is right.
I'm still going to get a ****** block though to help with the straight pull with a full bucket.

Old 06-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Swisher bucket as well and have the same problem. This thread will help a lot.

Would I reccomend the bucket.....right now I would say no, but once I get the brake for the winch I bet that will change.

The one thing I want to change is the trip system. When there is a load in the bucket and the bucket is raised it is very difficult to pull the rope to trip the bucket. Also, the spring that causes the latch to catch the bucket is weak and makes it difficult to get the bucket relatched.

Once I fix those two problems I'm sure I will be much happier with the set-up.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

I too have had the same problems releasing the bucket then lowering to relatch. What I've been doing to release is, while the bucket is up wrap the rope around the front rack a couple of times then lower the bucket. That pulls the lever then dumps the bucket. The only thing is after doing that all day it bent the bolt that holds the spring which put the spring in a bind. I was thinking about going with a harder grade bolt for the spring but before I do that I need to line up the leaf springs because they've moved around. I thought I had the bolts tight enough but I may need to put a couple of hose clamps around the springs to keep them in place. My property is really unlevel and the bucket bounces around quite a bit when I move stuff around.

I found a local place that I can order the brake from for about $80 which I plan to get but I think I'm going to try a ****** block for right now I've already spent enough $$$ for this set up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2004, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

i too have been having problems
i use my winch too tie my bikes down on my truck deck
my bruin stays put but my big old cat keeps rolling back
i dont need too loose my bike
picked up brake kit from dealer $ 93 cdn

Old 03-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior