Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What is the advantage of a rear-mounted engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 07:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the advantage of a rear-mounted engine?

What I can't seem to understand is how someone can be so certain when it is their opinion, not someone who has both quads and rides both. Guess I am nuts.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Andy; So, you are an expert without experience or personal knowledge. I claim to be an expert at boat racing. Let's see why. I won 11 regional championship, 7 divisional championships and set 3 world speed records and was 2nd in the National High Point championship twice and National High Point Champion twice, also. I did all my own mechanical work and driving. This qualifies me as an expert in boat racing. Sitting on the beach and watching does not. I own and ride an AC 250. When you own and ride or at least ride one, then I will put more creedence in your opinion. Until then you will have to put up with having you opinion doubted.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy, I have seen many of your post and I usually agree with you, but on this I must disagree. The 250, 300 units are very stable and are not prone to flipping over going up steep inclines. They have a low center of gravity and are extremely good at getting power to the ground. I have been told that you can take 300 4x4 and chain rearaxle to rearaxle on any unit (including Grizzly) and the 300 will pull it backwards. Then set park brake and shut off 300 and other quad will just spin out. I have not had the chance to try this myself but another dealer uses this method to sell his ATV's. Bottom line is Cats are very stable and get the horsepower to the ground where it can be used.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

The reart mounted motors are just like BobCat Tractors Example: they are low to the ground great COG engine rear mounted and stronger than your conventional 250's and 300's These are great machines for the $. I never came close to rolling my 250. I wouldn't trade this thing for any other Brand!

Old 06-25-2004, 02:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

An expert? Me, of course not. But I'm not a braggart either, so you don't see me posting of my worldly accomplishments. I've ridden quads that have light front ends and yes, I do know the difference.

You can't tell me a 2wd 250 is going to climb everything that even the weakest 4x4 will climb. Won't happen. And you don't have to have ridden something to see the obvious either. Thats just your way of trying to validate your arguement. Sorry, you won't convince me otherwise, and I won't convince you, so its pointless to continue. And of course, all of your backing will come from other AC owners who would never in a hundred years say anything negative about the brand they ride. I rode AC's when half the forum still hadn't ever owned a quad. I like them, so don't play the "AC's are good machines" card on me. I'm not brand loyal, and I see the faults in every machine and will damn sure tell about them, even if I own it.

The AC300 is a gutless wonder as far as power is concerned. If its winning a pull off, its because its heavy. Yes, way heavy for a 300 class quad. I will hook my 660 up to one any day of the week. They both have the capability to lock the front end so traction is in no advantage, they both weigh about 600lbs, so weight is no advantage, and the grizzly has about 15 times the power of the 300, so put them on pavement where both get traction, and I would love to see a 300 pull me around. There are a lot of bullcrap stories floating around, its just whether you choose to believe them.

I've rode these things for almost 20 years now. I know a little abou them, but of course I'm no expert and have no championship trophies to rave about. I'm not arguing about boats now am I? That would be stupid. Have you ridden anything besides a 250 or 300? So what is there to compare to? Have you ridden any of that stuff in technical situations or just around the lot at the dealership as well? Big difference. Actually, I've never had the chance to ride a 300 or 250, cause everyone has 500's or bigger here. There's really no reason for me to ever want to. But put the thing on a 4 tire scale and tell me where the weight is situated on it. Then come back and argue the point.

Simple as can be. Light front end, weight in the rear, not a good climber compared to other designs. Yeah, its lower to the ground, but so is any other 300 quad. And the seat height on a 300 or 250 AC is still taller than most if I'm right.

My god I would kill to have this thread in a different forum.

Old 06-25-2004, 02:40 AM
Range Rover

Go to another forum! I'm not one to say anything negative to any one but you sure do pay alot of attention to A/C! Though you do not own one. Do you have a beef with A/C?

Old 06-25-2004, 03:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Andy; You are way to defensive for one so young. BTW; I have several children older than you. The display of boat racing accomplishments was to illustrate a point. I was riding off road before you were born. I have always done my own work on all my equipment. What you think you know, is your opinion. What you really do know is able to be backed up with facts and is provable. As to having ridden, well let my mind think way back. I started riding the first Honda 50 bikes when they came out and worked my way up to real powerful stuff and then back down until a deer and a Honda 750 almost killed me 10 years ago. As to quads, I really started on the trikes and worked up. In the last year have ridden a Yamaha 350, Honda 250, Bombardier 500, AC400 auto, Polaris 700 and a AC500TRV. Each of these was for a least a day and up to a week. As to your contention that bigger is better, you sound just like "Tim the Toolman Taylor" better known as the lead moron of the mechanical world. Using his logic is not only stupid but deadly. As to bragging, I didn't even get started. Do you want me to go into drag racing or circle track racing? Then of course I am a vet and we could cover that. No wait, you perfer to to talk bullsh*t without the bull to back it up. So like the FAStCAT said go away unless you can back up your words with something other than you opinions, don't really like politicans and their opining that much anyway. Oh yeah; by your logic the speed of sound is a wall that can't be passed, at least that was the thinking back in the 30's, 40's and as we all know those guys were wrong too.

Old 06-25-2004, 05:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, I do pay attention to AC. Cause I like them. I bought a 1999 AC 500 in October of 1998. Had it for 3 years. Pretty good bike. After that, I got my Uncle to buy a 1998 454 (leftover still brand new) which I've spent countless hours repairing over the years (and its in pieces in my garage as we speak). Got my brother in law to buy an 03 500i. My cousin will end up with a 650 soon as he can afford it. I have no beef with AC dude. I owned them when people used to ask the question "Who makes an Arctic Cat... Honda????".

Only thing I have going here is that I don't believe a 250 or 300 AC is more stable than a 375/400/500 ACT Arctic Cat in climbing hills. Thats all.

Tell me to go to another forum all you want buddy, but I've been here since 1997, and I'm not going anywhere. Yeah, thats right 97, when the old forums were up, before they redesigned it in 99 and everyone had to make a new login. Hey now I'm bragging, whats up with that? Contagious?

Old 06-25-2004, 05:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sorry dude, I didn't live through the depression years. And though you don't like politics, you should really run for congress because you seem to be a great debator and you fit the age category perfectly. You have no idea how old I am, and even if I was a freaking teenager, it wouldn't matter much anyway. Boats, redneck dragstrips, and WWII have no bearing here. If I can find anyone that hasn't already traded in their 300 for something better, I'll ask them if I can ride it. Take it someplace nice and steep, and see what its worth. If I live through it, I'll come back and post the results.

If logic were worthless, we would be riding on square wheels right now. Regardless of whatever lame *** remarks you can say towards my character, you won't convince me that a 250 2wd can climb as well or will be more stable uphill than any of the ACT version quads. Its so simple it shouldn't even need proof. The weight is in the rear, the front is lighter. Which one has the bigger tendancy to have the front end come up? Wait, I already know what you are going to say, so just disregard.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Andy; you continue to prove yourself unprepared by not doing your home work. I know you were 27 when you made up your homepage, so you are in your late twenties. I know I did most of my drag racing north of the mason-dixon line and west of the Rockies, didn't know we had any rednecks out here. I was born post WWII, one of the baby boomers, otherwise I am one of your parents peers and having lived as long as I have I shoulded do to people what I have been doing to you; you know sink the hook in and play them. But unfortunately you guys make it way to easy for me, so I can't help myself. I do however like your pictures.

Quick Reply: What is the advantage of a rear-mounted engine?