Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ATV??? Please help. Mowing, Cultivating, Family Fun

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV??? Please help. Mowing, Cultivating, Family Fun

I am currently in the market for the best utility ATV. I think I am down to the AC650 or the P700. Does anyone have any words of wisdom as to which ATV and attachments I should get. I want to mow about 3 acres and cultivate about .5 acre. I would break down my usages in %33 mowing, %33 cultivating and the most important %34 Family fun. This web site is an awesome tool to talk ATV with other users and I greatly appreciate and responce.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't get a belt drive quad for any heavy work.....better suited towards a manual shift. Also, the solid rear axle quads would be better for towing heavy loads.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] All the dealers tell me that the two I am looking at are perfect???????? I think its a sales pitch. They say use them in low range and it will not be a problem. Do you feel strongly that a manual / chain would be better? I am confused. They also tell me that breaking ground with the quadivator will be a snap. I find that hard to believe. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Range Rover

I would tend to agree with Dave- I would take a look at the 05 500 cats. They have very similar features to the cat 650 but the auto drive on them is in my opinon a lot better suited for heavy duty work. If you don't mind doing a little shifting the manual would be better. If you plan on putting someone on the back the auto would work out a little better because then you don't have to deal with a passenger's feet by the shifter. The other route you could go is to wait on the new cat 650 H1- it has the same drive setup as the 500 auto. The bad part is that they don't have a release/manufacture date on them yet. Some of the 05 500s have already hit the showroom floors...

Old 06-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I would say go for the AC650, a 2005 model. The P700 is awesome too, but I like IRS, and the better ground clearance. Don't worry about towing with an auto quad. I have yet to see an auto owner on this site say they can't tow with it and wish they got the manual. Plus, those two you are looking at are only available in auto. But if you are the type of person that likes a manual look at the 500 cats.

Old 06-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Thank you all for your input. I am a power kind of man (I drive a Powerstroke). So my instinct is telling me to go big bore. Does the AC500 auto perform very well (torque)? I have only test drove the big ones. I did own an older P500 Sportsman and had all the power I needed at the time. This forum is the greatest tool I have found on the internet.......

Old 06-25-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

I've had an AC 500 on my farm for two years. Hauled a lot of wood with it. I got the 5 spd manual. One reason I bought Cat was the available 5 spd (the other was the ground clearance - my farm is rough as a cob) No problems in 2 years and 1k miles, other than the shift indicator lights going out last fall. It's a real workhorse, plenty of torque to get a load moving. I bought a 44" swisher mower last summer, but found that a dedicated lawnmower is faster and neater.

Thought about buying a 650, but that transmission seems a bit weak even if you aren't hauling loads. And more often than not, I'm hauling a loaded trailer over rough ground. I'll stick with the 5 speed, it has worked well for me.

About the only difference between a Cat650 and P700 is the chassis - Cat is IRS, high ground clearance, P700 is live axle, better handling when you really push it, lower ground clearance.

Old 06-25-2004, 02:39 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 500 TBX with the auto tranny.......and I pull/push the heck outta it and have yet to slip the belt. Of course with the tracks on it rarely spins and it puts a lot of strain on the frame (I've sheared off both rear upper a arms and broke the upper a arm mount off the frame on the front right.....but nothing the welder can't fix....now that they are reinforced I have no more problems. )

However, I would reccomend a manual in very extreme conditions...for light tillage and pulling a mower the auto will work fine. I wish I had a manual in my situation. I have burned out two front seals in the transmission which are easy to replace, but this destroys the belt when it becomes soaked in engine oil. (my dealer covered both times under warranty......)

one more thing......get a snowplow.....and hand/thumb warmers.....no-brainer man, trust me you will love it (for long driveways get the county plow....you can push snow higher and faster without catching it in the face...oh yeah, windshield for the winter months)

Old 06-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Thank you all for the help. It really did help. I am the proud owner of a new AC 05 500 TRV. My decission was made with all the reading and help I got from these Forums. We rode it, liked it. and it was the only dealership I felt would truly be there when I needed them. I tried to weigh out all the discussions I could read and pick one to most fit my needs. The complete $69 winch was a no brainer. Thanks again for all the help from everyone. My biggest decission now is weather to work or play this weekend. Maybe a little of both.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Way to go UtilityGuy! Post some pictures up when you get a chance!