Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Spring adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring adjustment

I have a new 500 and the shocks came from the Dealer adjusted to the middle setting. I attempted to change the adjustment with the cast aluminum tool that came with the ATV but no luck. I pushed and pulled so hard I was afraid I would break the adjustment tool. I even jacked the front of the ATV off the ground to release pressure off the shocks and it did not help. Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Old 06-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got my front adjusted but the tool (POS) broke trying to do the rear. I'm going to ask the dealership for another one. Seems like they could have at leat made it out of hardend steel.

Old 06-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

there is no problem besides the JUNK tool they give you. The best way to turn them that I have found is to take a big pair of channel locks and loosely grip and turn. Once you get it to move it should move a little easier. I tired to use the tool that came with the machine to adjust one once and it broke in half! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

A good way to release pressure from the shock is to have a tool that compresses the springs so that it would have less tension so that turning it would be easier i've done it and it takes 2 compressor on both sides of the the spring( it's kinda like a longer C-clamp) and i use a air socket to tighten the springs, A good Strong tool is good also. This method is good for doing car struts because those things are a son of a gun to change. And a mechanic would charge alot of money.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

I do the same as mudpuppy......jack it up to take most of the compression off then use a pair of pumphandle pliers to turn your adjuster.....don't even mess around with getting another p.o.s. tool that they give you, you're just wasting your time.

I adjust mine all the time like this (after I broke the factory tool on the second spring) and have no problems. I also have the TBX so the rear springs are stiffer yet and I still don't have problems......good luck!

Old 06-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

Use a pair of channel locks or a pipe wrench. Fastcat needs to use a spring compressor because he's 16.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

I splash water on it to make the ajuster turn easier. I also have someone lift slightly on the corner I'm adjusting and I grab the entire length of the tool in my hand instead of using leverage toward the end of it.

WD-40 would even work better to loosen it up, as it may need to "break loose".

Old 06-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer

I tried doing it their way and broke the tool as well. The front went fairly well but I broke the tool on the back. As with everyone else I used a pair of Channel Lock (Slip Joint) Pliers and it works great.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

yea a 16 year old that can bench 205 and squat 245 can't turn a little wrench. I'm so weak[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Football does alot!

Old 06-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

hes just trying to get you going fast cat .
as for the shocks i found the best way was spray wd40 on the ajusters jack it up and take all the weight of the springs and take a pare of chanel locks and try moveing it back and forth to loosen it up then turn it the way you want.
i tryed all the positions and found the stiffest was the best handleing for me.
and im 220lbs.

Quick Reply: Spring adjustment