Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Carb. problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb. problem

My 250's carb is having problems. It will rev. up when the choke is on, Then when it is warm i will move it to choke off, It will idle A little rough but stay on, but if you try to touch the throttle a little it will sputter then die. I'm thinking that the pilot jet is fine but the main jet is clogged( Pilot chocke on)(Main Choke off) (I may have those reversed) . I've sprayed carb cleaner but it will not run any better. The spark plug is black so i don't know what that means(good or Bad).

It has been at the dealers for about 2 weeks. It happened this afternoon when i thought it ran out of gas and though there was a very little in the tank that it wasn't receiving enough, so i put brand new right out of the pump fuel and no it wasn't the gas that was the problem. I think that their was some junk that was at the bottom and it finally went in to the carb.

I did have a weird experience today. When idleing i was pushing my quad into the garagefor some troubleshooting and all of a sudden the starter kicked in. I was like woooow! How the hell is that happening, It was on and the stater was just turning over. So i turn the key to turn it off and it went off, so then i thought that what will happen when i turn the key back on and it just fired back no need to press the start button and the starter just kept going, so when i pressed the engine kill switch it turned off and it never happened again. That was weird my quad was possesed. Any help whould be nice. Thanks in advance.

FastCat7806

Old 07-01-2004, 02:49 AM
Range Rover
Default Carb. problem

Hello? I really need some Help. well maybe i will wait to get an answer because it's like 12:50Am right now. But i Really do need help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2004, 03:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Carb. problem

ever pulled a carburator apart? If it was me, I'd check the air filter and see if thats dirty (I would actually do all of this together while I was doing stuff). Check the plug (which you did), pull the carb, tear it down and clean the whole thing out, pull out the jets and clean them, might even pull off the fuel line and blow it out with an air hose.

Sounds like its flooding itself out when throttle is applied, and I'm crappy at troubleshooting, so I can't give you an good advice really. (I know that really helps a hell of a lot to hear) Did this problem persist for any ammount of time? Did you ever get it primed back up good? I would pull the carb and clean it all out, put it back on and go from there. If it persists, you will at least be able to eliminate one thing. I pulled the carb off my uncle's 454 about 7 times in the past. The last time, they bought a new carb, cause the old one was just shot. Each time after it was cleaned, it would run like a scalded ape for about a week or two. Turned out, they had a rusty old gas can they just kept using and it was always running on bad gas and grubbing up the carb.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Carb. problem

Drop the float bowl and look in it. If theres alot of dirt or crud, then you need to put an in line filter on the gas line. My guess is the carb is dirty and thats causing the lean condition. If you find crud in there, itll need to come apart and cleaned and blown out.
Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw?

Old 07-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Range Rover
Default Carb. problem

Well this morning I Drained the float bowl< cleaned every single thig with some carb cleaner, Then air pressured everything and pit it back together but now it will run with the choke off and it won't die when giving it throttle but it won't rev to it peak. i'm going to adjust the air screw and see what it does.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:06 PM
Range Rover
Default Carb. problem

It's bad the Engine backed fired and blew the the carb off the hose. I'm going to break down and take it to the dealer before i break some thing serious.

Old 07-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Range Rover
Default Carb. problem

Nope never mind I got it but, but i need to know If the air screw(MIXTURE SCREW) is tight how many un turns does it take to "bottom out" the engine. If you can get to ASAP, That would be great. tHANKS

Old 07-02-2004, 02:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Carb. problem

Some where around 2 turns out.
From there, slowly turn it in,while the motor is running, and listen for a drop in rpm. From there count the turns out, until it drops again. Half way between those two points is the spot.

Old 07-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Range Rover
Default Carb. problem

I got it fixed by my self it was the diaphram (that little plastic thingy on the top) It was torn And it needed to be replaced and it along with anew spark plug And wire and it now runs like a champ.