Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

TBX owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBX owners

my dealer said he would give me a heck of a good deal on one cuz he want to get rid of what he has left.

what can anyone tell me about the tbx 500 '04 model.

pros and cons.

is it realy worth getting that dumpbox??

i realy like the extra storage in the rear fenders.
i hate the speedometer. .....looks so old fasion yet

Old 07-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default TBX owners

i don't mind mine, but personally I would wait and get the 2005 model just for the front locking diff. It would be nice to have four wheel instead of three wheel drive.

The dump box is definitely worth it......would never buy another quad without one. The speedo is no big deal, at least it is simple and easy to read. The fewer electronics the less crap there is to break down.

Define heck of a good deal.......I got mine in January with winch, 60 in. snowplow, handwarmer/thumbwarmer, windshield and front brush guard for 7200 or 7800 after tax and everything was installed when I left the lot. If your dealer really wants to push one out the door you could get it for 5800. I thought that was a good deal at the time but I think all of these 4-wheelers are becoming overpriced.

Any other questions let me know.....I do like the way the TBX rides, the x-tra 8" wheelbase makes a difference.

I guess it depends on what you want to use it for.....let me know if you have any other questions.....

Old 07-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Range Rover
Default TBX owners

thnaks alot for your answer...very helpfull.

good deal????....well..........we didn't get that far.
i know with the $450 off it would be around$6100

but he would have to beat that price cuz i do need a winch and plow if i get rid of my polaris 400.
you said it rides nice with the longer wheel base.

*how fast does it go?
*how much power does it have??..i will be useing a 4' springtooth to pull behind for my foodplots. i dig down about 6". my polaris works for that but gets hot quik.
*how reliable is it?
*many breakdowns.

i have had no probs with my 2002 polaris 400sp 4x4 with 3000 hard miles on it.
never rplaced a belt.
i am thinking of switching to a AC cuz we have a dealer in town.polaris are sooooo expensive also

Old 07-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default TBX owners

*how fast does it go?
mine did about 52mph on the speedo before I put the tracks on. Now with more miles it feels like things are breaking in and I'm sure it would go a little faster now.

*how much power does it have??..i will be useing a 4' springtooth to pull behind for my foodplots. i dig down about 6". my polaris works for that but gets hot quik.
It will have plenty of power....more then any tire will hold. It helps a lot to put some extra weight in the box on back, that will give you some extra traction. I use a couple weights off the front end of a tractor (210 lbs.) The auto tranny works awesome, never had the belt slip one me. The motor runs warm and is hot on your legs when you pull stuff, but I'm sure it's no different then any other atv. The cooling system works awesome, never have had the motor get warm on me and with the tracks on and what I push (homemade box scraper with vibershanks and 8" digger shovels) is way more then any machine with tires will pull. I tried it once with the tires on and it wouldn't move it, just spun in place!

*how reliable is it?
Haven't had any complaints yet......but I think the parking brake lever is crap. The lock should be made of metal....I think it's going to be the first thing I will be replacing. This motor starts extremely easy with the electric choke, just push the button and away you go. There will be a break in time for the motor of about 300 miles before you can get the idle set decent though. Sometimes it will idle fast and sometimes too slow but adjusting it is as simple as turning the screw with your fingers and it's easy to reach.

*many breakdowns.
I did take a front transmission seal out at 50 miles...it was bad from the factory. It was fixed in one day and did not cost anything or create any major problems. Other then that it has been perfect (well except for a few scratches here and there....but I can take the blame for those)

One thing I do like about the Arctic Cat is how easy it is to service and how open everything is if you would ever have to work on anything.

If you are looking for something to compare it too look at the John Deere Buck (or you can get the Trail Buck). They are very similiar machines with the dump box on back. I drove the Trail Buck 650 the other day (local JD dealer is really trying to sell me one). It's a good machine but doesn't have the ground clearance. It does have auto 4x4 with auto front diff lock in it......but I'm not sure how long that would hold up. This thing had all kinds of power with a rotax motor in it though, would go 55-60 easy but a little squirrley on the front end. I think it's because the wheelbase is even 3" longer then the TBX.

Good luck with your purchase......feel free to ask more ?'s if needed

Old 07-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Range Rover
Default TBX owners

thanks for amswering all my questions.
very helpfull you are.

i am so afraid to switch from polaris to ac.

i have 3000 miles on my polaris sp 400 and haven't had to do anything to it all. not even a belt.
and it's a 2002 model.

i dont' like the speedo on the ac but i guess it's less to go wrong.
and it's only 3 1/2 wheel drive w/o the locking dif.

i can't believe it will only go around 50 mph.
my 400 polaris(425 cc) will go 55 to 60